Thread: Upgrading ZCS 4.5.5 - best way?

sternfan is offline Special Member

Question Upgrading ZCS 4.5.5 - best way?

Hi all,

I am currently running a FC4 box with zimbra 4.5.5. I recently moved my current install to newer hardware, so now I am ready to upgrade.

So - what is the best way to upgrade the open edition 4.5.5 to say 4.5.11 on FC4?

Should it be done one step at a time? 4.5.5 to 4.5.6, then to 4.5.7 and so on? Or can I upgrade all the way to 4.5.11 in one jump?

My eventual plan is to get to 5.02 - however the issue becomes an OS upgrade (I am assuming Fedora 7) as well as a ZCS upgrade - which makes me nervous.

Thanks,
    Rob

psicopat is offline Intermediate Member

Default Upgrading ZCS 4.5.5 - best way?

Quote Originally Posted by sternfan View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently running a FC4 box with zimbra 4.5.5. I recently moved my current install to newer hardware, so now I am ready to upgrade.

So - what is the best way to upgrade the open edition 4.5.5 to say 4.5.11 on FC4?

Should it be done one step at a time? 4.5.5 to 4.5.6, then to 4.5.7 and so on? Or can I upgrade all the way to 4.5.11 in one jump?

My eventual plan is to get to 5.02 - however the issue becomes an OS upgrade (I am assuming Fedora 7) as well as a ZCS upgrade - which makes me nervous.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

I think you can upgrade all the way to 4.5.11 in one jump but don't forget to make backups before...
    That meens stopping services and copying /opt/zimbra to /opt/zimbra.save or at least /opt/zimbra/backup, /opt/zimbra/db and /opt/zimbra/conf to another location. And maybe LDAP databases.

Be careful with symlinks... I got some problems while upgrading from 4.0.5 to 4.5.10 (in one jump) because of /opt/zimbra/db and /opt/zimbra/backup being symlinks to other directories. During upgrade, symlinks were replaced by new empty directories...

To upgrade to 5.0.2 you MUST upgrade to 4.5.11 before to have less trouble as possible
    You should check out previous messages on the "Migration" section of the forum.

Regards,
    Pat.

sternfan is offline Special Member

Thanks for the response.

Are symlinks part of a regular install? I just did a "move to another server" and didn't encounter anything along the lines that you mentioned.

I will check out the Migration section.

Rob

psicopat is offline Intermediate Member

Default Upgrading ZCS 4.5.5 - best way?

No Symlinks are not part of regular install.
    We had to use Symlinks because number of users unexpectedly grew up and we had a lack of disk space so we moved these directories to another partition.

Pat.

Thread Information