Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compare 4.x to 5.x

Mike Scholes is offline Advanced Member

Default Compare 4.x to 5.x

I've just read a post that said they would upgrade to 5 when some know issues were addressed. I'm confused, I thought 5.0 was a natural progression from 4.x or are these different systems being developed in parallel? Is 4.x a more mature product but maybe less featured? Is 5.x a new product with more bugs/issues than 4.5? I have never used 4.x and started using Zimbra at 5RC2.

mmorse is offline Moderator

So 4.5.11 is intended as the last 4.5 series release, it was released with more platform binaries so that people would have an easier transition to 5.0

This is the best way to track the hundreds of new features in 5.0 & countless improvements over 4.5: Zimbra Product Portal

A quick rundown: /products/whats_new.html

One of the biggest back-end improvements is going from tomcat to jetty - that switch alone has enabled us to bring so many more features & enhancements into play: /blog/archives/2007/12/why_we_switched_to_jetty.html

To make all this happen we had to start developing 5.0 a while ago - there have been millions of changes in the code!
    People post issues about the end-of-life builds like 4.0 or 3.1 & we support them in the forms as best we can. You might have hit a thread where someone decided to wait out to see how the 4.5.x > 5.0.x upgrades were going, or maybe in regards to some certs issues in the first GA or something (clustering upgrade finalization is also a holdup right now).

In short, enjoy the benefits of starting with v5 from the start!
    Infact, just about every article at the top of the blog covers cool new things in 5.0 - Check it out, the features you take as standard took a LOT of top notch engineering work - you may just find something you didn't know the client can do /blog/archives.html

Thanks for that, I was just wondering weather the bugs that I have found in 5.x were as a result of the "newness" of 5.x and whether there are fewer bugs in 4.x because it is more mature. I'm don't know if there are the same bugs in 4.x as I have never used it.There are a few fundamental problems like UK format dates, now if this is as a result of the the newness of 5.x then that's fine, but if 4.x had the same problem then I would be more concerned.

Ya I saw your UK date issue bug earlier. 4.5.x had some language stuff included (I18nMsg_en_GB.properties but just one AjxMsg.properties to handle some formatting) the files & zimlet regex modifications etc were done through lots of good community work! 5.0.x is the first we've included locales with a better ability for the user to change on the fly as well as browser language detection.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    As some have already noted, one of the cooler things in ZCS 5.0 is 15 languages are pre-installed. (A benefit of joining Yahoo! is access to a global team very experienced with translation and QA).

The languages shipping so far are: Chinese (simplified and traditional), Danish, English (UK, AU, US), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish. The Zimbra Web clients, server messages as well as the Outlook Connector and Import Wizard have been translated. In the future we will be adding more languages and hope to get up to 40.

Setting the Language
    The language for the default CoS is English (US); administrators can use the CLI interface to change the language for this (or any) CoS, eg:
    "zmprov mc default zimbraPrefLocale fr_FR" (for French)
    End users can now set their preferred language in the Web Client’s Preferences tab. (Note this preference overrides both the language preference set by Administrators and the language preference in the browser.) Administrators can also add their own languages, when they do the language will appear in the Preferences tab.
    Last edited by mmorse; 02-09-2008 at 03:42 PM.

See if you can modify /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/WEB-INF/classes/messages/AjxMsg_en_GB.properties (or the plain AjxMsg.properties) to your desired.

hm,
    AjxMsg.properties:
    # formats for calendar use
    formatCalDate = EEE, MMM d
    formatCalDateLong = EEEE, MMMM d
    formatCalDateFull = EEEE, MMMM d, yyyy
    # {0} is the hour number, 0-24; {1} is a date object with the same hour
    formatCalHour = {0,choice,0#Midnight|1#{1,time,h a}|12#Noon|13#{1,time,h a}|24#Midnight}
    formatCalDay = M/d
    formatCalMonth = MMMM yyyy
    formatShortCalMonth = MMM yyyy

# additional formats for date formatting
    formatDateMediumNoYear = MMM dd
    formatWordyDateToday = 'Today,' h:mm a
    formatWordyDateYesterday = 'Yesterday,' h:mm a
    formatWordyDate = EEE, M/d/yy, h:mm a
    AjxMsg_en_GB.properties & AjxMsg_en_AU.properties:
    # formats for calendar use
    formatCalDate = EEE, MMM d
    formatCalDateLong = EEEE, MMMM d
    formatCalDateFull = EEEE, MMMM d, yyyy
    # {0} is the hour number, 0-24; {1} is a date object with the same hour
    formatCalHour = {0,choice,0#Midnight|1#{1,time,h a}|12#Noon|13#{1,time,h a}|24#Midnight}
    formatCalDay = d/M
    formatCalMonth = MMMM yyyy
    formatShortCalMonth = MMM yyyy

# additional formats for date formatting
    formatDateMediumNoYear = dd MMM
    formatWordyDateToday = 'Today,' h:mm a
    formatWordyDateYesterday = 'Yesterday,' h:mm a
    If it's not applying from AjxMsg_en_GB.properties double check the account local setting or can try applying it in your regular AjaxMsg.properties which would tell me it's a bug. Also, if one of those needs to be tweaked a bit be sure to note that as well of course! Bug 24430 - UK Date Formats display in American mm/dd/yyyy format
    Last edited by mmorse; 02-09-2008 at 03:48 PM.

No luck I'm afraid there seemed to be several of the files you mentioned in various places so I went through all of them one-by-one modifying them and restarting zimbra and shift/ctrl refreshing each time but the formats never changed. The mods I made were to swap every d with an M, ie

to

formatWordyDate = EEE, d/M/yy, h:mm a

I'm guessing this was what I needed to try but no luck.

sqb
    sqb is offline Intermediate Member

Default Urgent need to correct date formats

I too have gone through and changed the:

AjxMsg_en_AU.properties
    I18nMsg_en_AU.properties

to reflect the correct date format for our region in all parameters in these files. I also copied the AU version of these files over the default US version and restarted Zimbra.

Nothing. Still the incorrect and misleading US date formats in the AJAX interface.

This problem is serious. It upsets and confuses mu users. Please advice a fix for it pronto!
    Stewart Baillie

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sqb View Post
    I too have gone through and changed the:

AjxMsg_en_AU.properties
    I18nMsg_en_AU.properties

to reflect the correct date format for our region in all parameters in these files. I also copied the AU version of these files over the default US version and restarted Zimbra.

Nothing. Still the incorrect and misleading US date formats in the AJAX interface.

This problem is serious. It upsets and confuses mu users. Please advice a fix for it pronto!
    Did you reload the browser after copying the files over the original US ones? You don't actually need to do that, you only need to make the changes to I18nMsg_en_GB.properties & AjxMsg_en_GB.properties (obviously the AU ones for you) for the correct date formats to be shown, it works on my system. Perhaps if you posted the relevant sections of the modified code we could see what changes you've made. As I mentioned in the other thread, you should also vote on any outstanding bugs as that will get the developers attention.
    Last edited by phoenix; 02-11-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Success! I modified just one file;

/opt/zimbra/jetty-6.1.5/webapps/zimbra/WEB-INF/classes/messages/I18nMsg_en_GB.properties

Restarted zimbra and my dates are now working in UK format.

Thanks everyone for yet another helpful fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information