Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper implementation for hot fail over load balancing zimbra

Everyday is offline Member

Default Proper implementation for hot fail over load balancing zimbra

We're revisiting zimbra once again but I wanted to see how others are implementing hot fail over and load balancing. We are currently running kerio because it supports true hot fail over. Without getting into a lot of useless talk I will simply ask...

What is the preferred way to setup a load balanced zimbra cluster with hot fail over? When I say hot fail over I mean if one of the servers in the cluster goes down there is no interruption in service to any user. By load balancing I mean no one server will be overloaded with users and it does not require manually balancing new account creation across the cluster.

Any and all input is appreciated.
    Matt Kelly
    Razor, Inc.

Klug is offline Moderator

Zimbra is not designed for load balancing. At all.
    You can do HA (two nodes and share volumes) but not load balancing.

Everyday is offline Member

When doing HA we would still need to manually switch records within zimbra whenever a server might go down?
    Matt Kelly
    Razor, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    When doing HA we would still need to manually switch records within zimbra whenever a server might go down?
    No, because Zimbra's services bind to a virtual IP that "sticks" to the active node.

duc_bkav is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Zimbra is not designed for load balancing. At all.
    You can do HA (two nodes and share volumes) but not load balancing.
    Hi Klug,

Did the newest version 8.0 of Zimbra support Load Balancing for Mailbox server. I have seen in the Zimbra OS Multi Server Installation 8.0 documentation, System Requirement / Operating System Network Edition section. It describe like below:

The following operating systems are supported:
    • Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, AS/ES 6
    (64-bit) requires RHEL6 6.1 or later.
    • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11, SP1 (64-bit)
    Note: Cluster feature is not available on SUSE Linux
    versions.
    • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server Edition (64-bit)
    • Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server Edition (64-bit)
    Note: Cluster feature is not available on Ubuntu Linux
    versions.
    So what is the cluster feature mean here?

I saw in another thread https://www.zimbra.com/forums/instal...-balancer.html
    in which you say that :

There is not load balancing technology in ZCS (unless you put some on your own and you can only put some in specific places).

ZCS scales by adding mailboxes servers.
    One account is located on one server.

You can use load-balancing for MTA (or simply use DNS) and for zimbra-proxy (that proxifies the requests to the correct mailboxes servers). That's all.
    So is there any change in the new Zimbra 8.0 OS Edition?

Thanks four your attention ?

The "cluster" feature is/was the HA feature.

HA is not part of ZCS anymore (the zimbra-cluster module doesn't exist anymore) since 8.0: looks like there's an error in the documentation (while the release notes are OK about this).

If you want to do HA nowadays, you should rely on the virtualization layer to achieve it.
    There are special scripts integrated in ZCS 8.0 to work with vmware HA (and SRM).

The "cluster" feature is/was the HA feature.

HA is not part of ZCS anymore (the zimbra-cluster module doesn't exist anymore) since 8.0: looks like there's an error in the documentation (while the release notes are OK about this).

If you want to do HA nowadays, you should rely on the virtualization layer to achieve it.
    There are special scripts integrated in ZCS 8.0 to work with vmware HA (and SRM).
    Thanks Klug for your reply,
    So if i rool back to use the older version (like 7.2.0 ...), is there any HA solutiọn for Zimbra and could you point it out to me? Sorry for the question but i'm begineer in Zimbra and i need the right orientation to research the HA solution for Zimbra
    Tks

"Old school" HA solution means (as I said before) two dedicated nodes (one active, one passive) and a shared storage (SAN or DAS).
    Nearly no one uses this anymore, because it's not cost effective (passive node, DAS) and not easy to manage.
    You can also add to the "bad things" of this solution that the scripts handling the HA are not smart enough (IMHO).

"Nowadays" HA solution is done at the virtualization level : ZCS is a VM and the virtualization software (vSphere, XenServer, etc) handles the HA (by moving the VM from one node to the other). You'll need nodes (virtualization nodes, running the hypervisor) and shared storage (SAN or NAS) but it won't need to be dedicated to ZCS.

BTW, you can not roll back ZCS to a previous version.

Talking

"Old school" HA solution means (as I said before) two dedicated nodes (one active, one passive) and a shared storage (SAN or DAS).
    Nearly no one uses this anymore, because it's not cost effective (passive node, DAS) and not easy to manage.
    You can also add to the "bad things" of this solution that the scripts handling the HA are not smart enough (IMHO).

"Nowadays" HA solution is done at the virtualization level : ZCS is a VM and the virtualization software (vSphere, XenServer, etc) handles the HA (by moving the VM from one node to the other). You'll need nodes (virtualization nodes, running the hypervisor) and shared storage (SAN or NAS) but it won't need to be dedicated to ZCS.

BTW, you can not roll back ZCS to a previous version.
    Hi Klug,
    so from all i have known untill now, with the newest version of ZCS (8.0), the HA feature on application layer isn't supported anymore. And all we can do is:
    • HA solution at the virtualization level (i thinks it seem to be near the physical layer).
    • Another choice as i knew is using the cluster service in Operating System: like Hearbeat in Linux or Failover Cluster Service in Windows Server

anyway, thanks you for your enthusiastic support. This save me a ton of work to orientate the right solution for this HA feature on ZCS application.

Heartbeat looks like the way it was done "before" (up to 7.x).

You might be not-supported if you add heartbeat on top of ZCS 8.0 NE.
    You should check this before setting it up for production.

People have been using it (sometimes with DRBD) on ZCS 6.x and 7.x OSE for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information