Thread: AntiSpam

osiris is offline Senior Member

Default AntiSpam

Can the antispam solution be connected to external antispam sources? As in get spam definitions from external antispam companies.
    Last edited by osiris; 02-04-2008 at 03:18 AM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Yes you can certainly add extra SpamAssassin rules, and connect to other RBLs aswell. Have a read of this :- Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hmm might have done something I shouldnt have now.. I check the wiki and started working on the razor and pyzor, but when I got to the config file I saw those where allready enabled, then when looking trough the conf files around I found that both those are included.

"
    Configuring Razor
    Create .razor folder in /opt/zimbra/amavisd and give zimbra user permissions

mkdir /opt/zimbra/amavisd/.razor; chown -Rf zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/amavisd/.razor
    As zimbra user, create your razor account:

razor-admin -home=/opt/zimbra/amavisd/.razor -create
    razor-admin -home=/opt/zimbra/amavisd/.razor -discover
    razor-admin -home=/opt/zimbra/amavisd/.razor -register
    "

All those part I did, when all was actually running by default.. Doing the razor-admin commands and the mkdir of .razor have I now broken the default razor? Is there some way to test and verify that its actually doing its job? Back when I tested qmail there was a script I could run that triggered each specific antivirus/antispam solution which gave an ok/not ok, status, is there something out for the zimbra setup that I could use just to verify all is good?

---- edit!---

Actually when checking the /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf I dont see pyzor nor razor there, but they are loaded according to /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/v310.pre
    A bit confused now.. Should I when using out of the box newest version of zimbra community edition touch this at all or is it enabled !really! even though they aint in /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf only in /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/v310.pre

----edit2!---

Habeas
    Habeas, at Habeas Improves Email Delivery Rates, Avoid Email Blacklists with Monitoring and Authentication Email Compliance Solutions, is another such subscription-based whitelisting program. Habeas also recommends a -100 score for the most highly-rated senders in their list, although Spamassassin gives them the more conservative score of -8.0 for the highest-rated senders. A reduced impact score for Habeas (again in local.cf) might look like this:

# Score to reduce the effect of Habeas whitelisting
    score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_COI 0 -0.5 0 -0.5
    score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_SOI 0 -0.25 0 -0.25
    score HABEAS_CHECKED 0 -0.1 0 -0.1

Things like this, is just to add it to /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf and voila, it now works with in this example the Habeas lists to lower the score of emails, or do I have to tweak other conf files to make it actually make use of those lists?
    Last edited by osiris; 02-04-2008 at 09:54 AM.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    Habeas
    Habeas, at Habeas Improves Email Delivery Rates, Avoid Email Blacklists with Monitoring and Authentication Email Compliance Solutions, is another such subscription-based whitelisting program. Habeas also recommends a -100 score for the most highly-rated senders in their list, although Spamassassin gives them the more conservative score of -8.0 for the highest-rated senders. A reduced impact score for Habeas (again in local.cf) might look like this:

# Score to reduce the effect of Habeas whitelisting
    score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_COI 0 -0.5 0 -0.5
    score HABEAS_ACCREDITED_SOI 0 -0.25 0 -0.25
    score HABEAS_CHECKED 0 -0.1 0 -0.1

Things like this, is just to add it to /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/local.cf and voila, it now works with in this example the Habeas lists to lower the score of emails, or do I have to tweak other conf files to make it actually make use of those lists?
    I can't comment on your other tools (Razor etc.), but this part I did so I know how it works. . . The whitelists that I referenced in the wiki, including Habeas and BSP, are already included in SpamAssassin by default. I only learned about them when I found mail that we considered spam getting through my filters because these commercial whitelist scores were counteracting all the other legitimate spam flags. In a fit of pique I actually gave all those paid whitelists a positive score in local.cf--effectively penalizing any sender who uses them with automatic spam classification. But all that these lines do is change the score for an already-implemented list, not add a new list or service.

Dan

Ok, thank you. That clears part of what have been on my mind so far

Another question, I see there is a lot talk of external maintained whitelists in the "tweak your zimbra's antispam solution guide", how about external maintained blacklists, like spamcop etc?

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
    Another question, I see there is a lot talk of external maintained whitelists in the "tweak your zimbra's antispam solution guide", how about external maintained blacklists, like spamcop etc?
    There are a number of Realtime Blacklists (RBLs) that you can add to your postfix configuration--they don't work inside of SpamAssassin. Here's the section from the Zimbra Admin guide that describes implementing RBLs:
    Turning On or Off RBLs
    RBL (Real time black-hole lists) can be turned on or off in SpamAssassin from
    the Zimbra CLI.
    The three RBL’s that are enabled during installation are the following:
    • reject_invalid_hostname
    • reject_non_fqdn_hostname
    • reject_non_fqdn_sender
    You can set the following, in addition to the three above:
    • reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org
    • reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org
    • reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net
    • reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net
    • reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org
    • reject_rbl_client relays.mail-abuse.org
    To turn RBL on
    1. Log on to the server and go to the Zimbra directory (su - zimbra)
    2. Enter zmprov gacf | grep zimbraMtaRestriction, to see what RBLs are set.
    3. To add any new RBL types, you must list the existing RBLs and the new
    RBLs all in one command as:
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRestriction [RBL type]
    To add all the possible restrictions, the command would be
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRestriction reject_invalid_hostname zimbraMtaRestriction
    reject_non-fqdn_hostname zimbraMtaRestriction reject_non_fqdn_sender
    zimbraMtaRestriction “reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org” zimbraMtaRestriction
    “reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org” zimbraMtaRestriction “reject_rbl_client
    bl.spamcop.net” zimbraMtaRestriction “reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net”
    zimbraMtaRestriction “reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org” zimbraMtaRestriction
    “reject_rbl_client relays.mail-abuse.org”
    Note: Quotes must be added to RBL types that are two words.

Thread Information