Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Linux Server to Use

jayvrod is offline Starter Member

Default Best Linux Server to Use

If I am to buy Zimbra I will want to run this in a VMWare ESX envrionment.
    However I am a Ubuntu / Debian kind of guy. BUT. I want to ensure that I get the Maximum Performance and Stability for running the Company Email Server.
    So has anyone put RedHat, Suse, Ubuntu up against each other to see which one performs the best with Zimbra? Does Zimbra give favortisim to 1 distro over another? I would hate to deploy Zimbra on Ubuntu and have Zimbra drop support for it next year. Any Known issues with 64bit on any of the Distros along with Zimbra?

Thanks I am still evaluating, currently a Exchange 2003 & BES User.

uxbod is offline Moderator

With any of those distros you have mentioned you are able to purchase commercial support. Each one has a modified kernel away from vanilla, so IMHO I would choose one you are most comfortable with and that is supported by Zimbra.

Bear in mind though that the O/S is also dependant on what hardware you shall be using. This extends to both the network, actual server and storage whether it be DAS/SAN/NAS.

dotel is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayvrod View Post
    However I am a Ubuntu / Debian kind of guy. BUT. I want to ensure that I get the Maximum Performance and Stability for running the Company Email Server.
    So has anyone put RedHat, Suse, Ubuntu up against each other to see which one performs the best with Zimbra? Does Zimbra give favortisim to 1 distro over another? I would hate to deploy Zimbra on Ubuntu and have Zimbra drop support for it next year. Any Known issues with 64bit on any of the Distros along with Zimbra?

Thanks I am still evaluating, currently a Exchange 2003 & BES User.
    I'm a Gentoo fan myself, all my mission critical servers are Gentoo, However I am a Novell partner, and have been for a long time, So I went with Suse for my Zimbra server. My Host is Gentoo running ESX with Suse as the Guest. Works great. Rock solid, I also tried Ubuntu. No noticeable difference between them. However I get free Support from Novell because i'm a partner, so I went that way.

Side note( Firefox keeps trying to auto correct ESX into something that should NEVER be virtualized. LOL)

fcash is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayvrod View Post
    The best distro to use is the one you are most familiar with. That way, you won't be spending most of your time learning the idiosyncrasies of the new distro.

That being said, however, you also need to look at the hardware you will be putting it on, and how many users you are going to be supporting. For example, the Ubuntu version that is officially supported is only 32-bit so you can't use more than 4 GB of RAM, which may limit how many users you can support. (There's a 64-bit build for Ubuntu coming down the pipe ... but we don't know how long that pipe is.)
    Freddie

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

I'm very pleased that we've gotten 5 posts into such a question without anybody flaming anyone else's distro yet. . .maybe we're making progress!

But to reiterate the statements made above, when Zimbra has committed to supporting NE on a distro, I think you're pretty safe to pick the distro that is most familiar and plays nicely with your hardware. You will find lots of fans of virtually every major distro out there, on this forum, and whichever you choose, you'll also find people to help you get through the inevitable speed bumps.

I use Ubuntu and have had no stability issues with it. Others, particularly in larger enterprises, seem more comfortable with the professionally-supported (and fee-based) enterprise packages from either Red Hat or SuSE. That's really as much a business decision as it is a technical one, I believe.

The best decision, of course, is your decision to use Zimbra. . .

Cheers,

Dan

Klug is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    I'm very pleased that we've gotten 5 posts into such a question without anybody flaming anyone else's distro yet. . .maybe we're making progress!
    That's because we all know Linux s*x and FreeBSD rox.

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    I use Ubuntu and have had no stability issues with it. Others, particularly in larger enterprises, seem more comfortable with the professionally-supported (and fee-based) enterprise packages from either Red Hat or SuSE. That's really as much a business decision as it is a technical one, I believe.
    Exactly my thoughts.
    I also use CentOS for my own demo/test server.

void is offline Active Member

I have been very pleased with CentOS5, coming from a Redhat/Fedora background it made the transition exceptionally easy to CentOS.

The best part about using Cent is that just about everything I have seen that says "Requires Redhat Enterprise Linux" works swimmingly.

I'm sure other distros work great too, but it gives me that extra sense of security when I am running a distro specifically mentioned as being supported by the vendor, even if the logo is different.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

Default 5.0.2 FOSS and Open SuSE 10.2

I am running 2 servers with this config and have yet to have a server error.

I'm a firm believer in SuSE.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

I don't know if it's still the case, but Zimbra used to be primarily tested and QAd on RHEL, I think, and as such used to run on this platform 'the best(TM)'. Don't know if this is still the case.

k7sle is offline Active Member

Thumbs up

Part of my choice when selecting a Linux server platform, not just for Zimbra, but for any purpose was how "big" it is. I have two servers currently running at home, one RHEL 4 AS and one Ubuntu Server 6.06.1 LTS. I have previously run FreeBSD as a server and it was fine, too.

My personal preference to run Ubuntu as my most recent server was to eliminate the cost of the updates and I was impressed by the fact that it does not have a GUI to take up resources on a system that runs headless anyway. I would have picked a newer version of Ubuntu had Zimbra been supported on it, however 6.06 is working well for me.

I have to echo the same sentiments that many others have made: Use what you are comfortable with and that will be supported by Zimbra (and other vendors that you may use).

Best of luck!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information