Thread: how to filter outgoing mail? (shared sent-mail folder)

xequb is offline Member

Question how to filter outgoing mail? (shared sent-mail folder)

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to filter outgoing mail, but I do not know if this is possible with Zimbra.

I've set up shared access to a mail account, and have enabled users to send-on-behalf-of this account.

However, I need to give all users access to all sent mail, so I would like to have a filter copy all sent mail to a 'shared outbox'.

Is this possible? (Zimbra 5)

xequb is offline Member

Question

are there any plans to add filtering functionality for outgoing mail to zimbra?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Not currently available but you might want to vote on this: Bug 10778 - Filter on Outgoing Messages You should always check bugzilla for any outstanding RFEs and/or bugs and add them if you don't find what you need, you should also vote on them to vive them added 'weight'.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

xequb is offline Member

Thanks for your reply!

So what is the recommended way of implementing shared (e.g. help desk) mail with zimbra? Having multiple users log in on the same account (if possible)? Automatically cc'ing all outgoing mail (if possible)?

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Hi..just on the COPY all message part of your Q
    there is no in built zimbra function but you can use the age old POSTFIX "always_bcc" to archive all IN+OUT email to 1 account on the server

Here is how:
    1) Create a USER on your domain i.e: copyall@yourodmian.com you can name it anything

2) Edit MAIN.CF file and add the following line on top of the file or anywhere

always_bcc=copyall@yourodmian.com

* The “main.cf” file is at the following path..your postfix version could be different based on version of zimbra:
    /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.3.4z/conf/main.cf

3) Restart zimbra service

Now you will get ALL emails IN+OUT of zimbra copied to "copyall@yourodmian.com" without any user intervention or they knowing about it

4) Now you can play with FILTERS under "copyall@yourodmian.com" and filter your emails based on RULES and fwd/file/redirect them as desired

For helpdesk..you can make MULTIPLE Aliases for 1 email box and FILE the emails using FILTERS in folder and i guess Zimbra webmail lets you reply using any ALIAS name
    * username and passwd for the account is same in this case

Hope this helps

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

xequb is offline Member

Thanks for your help Raj!

but as this is a hosted install of ZImbra, I am not sure whether I have access to these configuration options.

abhiz is offline Advanced Member

Hi Raj,

I need to know the exact syantax for sender_bcc and recepient_bcc ,I tried it but it fails.Also

I have a very strange requirement ,is it possible to do bounce at 2 email address like if I send email to any invalid email address it should bounce back to sender thats is me and also it should bounce back to bounce@xyz.com,please let me know if any work around is possible.

leo de punk is offline Member

Hi Raj,
    I am new to zimbra and I am currently using Zimbra 7.0.1. there is a feature to filter an outgoing mail in zimbra 7 client but it doesn't work properly. do you have any idea to make this to work? actually I need to filer the mails which are over 2mb and are sending to a specific distribution list.
    for eg- sender - abc@mydomain.com
    recipient (distribution list) - everyone@mydomain.com
    I need to block all messages which are over 2Mb from abc -> everyone

thanks in advance
    leo

leo de punk is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    Hi..just on the COPY all message part of your Q
    there is no in built zimbra function but you can use the age old POSTFIX "always_bcc" to archive all IN+OUT email to 1 account on the server

Here is how:
    1) Create a USER on your domain i.e: copyall@yourodmian.com you can name it anything

2) Edit MAIN.CF file and add the following line on top of the file or anywhere

always_bcc=copyall@yourodmian.com

* The “main.cf” file is at the following path..your postfix version could be different based on version of zimbra:
    /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.4.3.4z/conf/main.cf

3) Restart zimbra service

Now you will get ALL emails IN+OUT of zimbra copied to "copyall@yourodmian.com" without any user intervention or they knowing about it

4) Now you can play with FILTERS under "copyall@yourodmian.com" and filter your emails based on RULES and fwd/file/redirect them as desired

For helpdesk..you can make MULTIPLE Aliases for 1 email box and FILE the emails using FILTERS in folder and i guess Zimbra webmail lets you reply using any ALIAS name
    * username and passwd for the account is same in this case

Hope this helps

Raj
    I have tried this method, but the recipient is receiving the message even though I set the action to discard the message on copyall@yourdomain.com. this method stops the message receiving to the copyall@yourdomiain.com. Is there any method to stop forwarding the message from the copyall@yourodmian.com?

Thread Information