Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Zimbra with Fetchmail - Problems!

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default Crontab

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    I've set-up crontab to do fetchmail every 5 minutes (crons.cron file in the root directory with 5 * * * * fetchmail -k on it and start with crontab crons.cron
    Somewhat offtopic, but I think that crontab entry will run 5 minutes after every hour, not every 5 minutes (which would be */5 * * * * ...)

Linsys is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks you all for your help. It turned out that my /etc/fetchmailrc file had errors. It was originally generated by SuSE YaST. I created a new one from scratch and disabled DNS lookup in Zimbra and everything works fine.

ljfrench is offline Junior Member

Default Finally got mine working

Here's what I had to do in my fetchmailrc file to make it work:

# .fetchmailrc file
    defaults proto pop3
    user "mailuser" is ssl user here
    poll mail.domain.com
    username user@domain.com password ******** is ssl user here
    smtpname user@localdomain
    ;

I also have to execute "fetchmail -d time" as the user.

wkearney99 is offline Junior Member

Question using fetchmail for delivering to a sub-folder?

I've used fetchmail for ages to pull mail from external pop and imap accounts. I'm using a uw-imap server and it's dmail program to push the message directly into a local user's folder. I call it from cron using a fetchmail config that contains:

poll external.imap.server proto imap port 143
    user 'imapuser' with password 'somepass' is localuser here
    folders INBOX
    mda '/usr/local/bin/dmail %T+mail/Inbox-external'

This logs in to the external server as a user named 'imapuser' and then pulls mail from a folder named INBOX on that server. It then pushes it into a folder called "Inbox-external" for the local user named 'localuser'. Works great. But it depends on the deliver tool and the c-client library to handle it.

The destination folder is manually created ahead of time, so I'm not expecting fetchmail to create them automagically (but that'd sure be handy in a few cases...)

I specifically DO NOT want to just dump all these messages into the local user's base-level "Inbox". I like having them each in their own folder, it makes it easier to keep tabs on where the message came from, independently of the other services.

Is there an equivalent way to accomplish this with zimbra?

Default fetchmail and sorting

You could, perhaps, fetch the mail locally, run it through a script to add a header (X-FETCHMAIL-MIGRATE, or whatever) then feed it into zimbra, with a filter rule to look for your custome header and file the mail away.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    You could, perhaps, fetch the mail locally, run it through a script to add a header (X-FETCHMAIL-MIGRATE, or whatever) then feed it into zimbra, with a filter rule to look for your custome header and file the mail away.
    Ugh, that's waaaay too much hassle. Having to write the fetchmail config and then also have to use the web interface to manually create the filter? As opposed to just using fetchmail to put it right where it belongs?

It's not just the inbox on the remote servers either. There are a number of other folders on the remote server that I'm pulling from as well. Some of the remote accounts have their own filtering running and will have already moved messages out of the inbox into other destinations. If they're already in a desired place then it'd be a bit of a waste to have to set that up all over again in zimbra.

Default imap

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99
    Ugh, that's waaaay too much hassle. Having to write the fetchmail config and then also have to use the web interface to manually create the filter? As opposed to just using fetchmail to put it right where it belongs?

It's not just the inbox on the remote servers either. There are a number of other folders on the remote server that I'm pulling from as well. Some of the remote accounts have their own filtering running and will have already moved messages out of the inbox into other destinations. If they're already in a desired place then it'd be a bit of a waste to have to set that up all over again in zimbra.
    You could deliver them with an IMAP client, but I have no idea how you'd integrate that with fetchmail.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    You could deliver them with an IMAP client, but I have no idea how you'd integrate that with fetchmail.
    There's the possibility of using something like imapsync to pull them instead of fetchmail. The downside being loss of other fetchmail features and a separation out from how POP is handled.

I'm still left wondering, is there no utility for zimbra that parallels tools like dmail from uw-imap, or deliver from cyrus-imapd?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99
    There's the possibility of using something like imapsync to pull them instead of fetchmail. The downside being loss of other fetchmail features and a separation out from how POP is handled.

I'm still left wondering, is there no utility for zimbra that parallels tools like dmail from uw-imap, or deliver from cyrus-imapd?
    Yes imapsync would work. Your correct that we don't have dmail or deliver like tools. Zimbra's focus has been on enterprise email, and thus email aggregation which your after is not our current primary goal, since that in most cases is a personal or home user need. That said if someone gets dmail or deliver to work with Zimbra or creates a similar tool we'd take a look at integrating it.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Zimbra's focus has been on enterprise email, and thus email aggregation which your after is not our current primary goal, since that in most cases is a personal or home user need.
    It seems a bit of a dodge to go claiming the situation is outside the realm of enterprise mail. Zimbra doesn't have the functionality, that's fine. But leave the marketing double-speak out of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information