Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] outofoffice

lars_BE is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] outofoffice

hi, my outofoffice message is sent for messages coming from internal users.
    (if the message is sent to the 'base' account, not to aliasses).

it don't work for external e-mails altough i can find this in mailbox.log:

mailbox.log:2008-01-23 16:00:17,625 INFO [LmtpServer-1923] [name=lars@arbitrage.be;mid=127;] mailbox - outofoffice sent dest='gi31398@yahoo.com' rcpt='lars@arbitrage.be' mid=269

so the outofoffice message seemt to be sent. is there something else i need / need to check ?

thanks for any hint or help,
    Lars.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

If your log shows the message to be sent it may be worth checking on the receiving side (your yahoo! account) whether perhaps Yahoo!'s server is tossing the reply into the junk folder.

thank you dmwtractor, it seems to be the case with many servers, i tried with hotmail, yahoo and gmail.

Assuming that the address you have above is real, I have just sent you a message (about 8:15 pm Pacific time GMT-8) from an account that I know has no spam filtering on it. I'll give it a little while to see if I get a response, because it is not controlled by any of the other services.

You might try looking for information in zimbra.log which I find sometimes has more detail than mailbox.log.

Dan

hi Dan, here is a part from my logfile:
    i replaced our e-mail addresses with 'DAN' and 'LARS':

2008-01-27 05:11:58,863 INFO [LmtpServer-3678] [ip=172.16.0.13;] cache - Initializing folder and tag caches for mailbox 127
    2008-01-27 05:11:58,876 INFO [LmtpServer-3678] [ip=172.16.0.13;] lmtp - Delivering message: size=2209 bytes, nrcpts=1, sender=DAN, msgid=<479C0488.4040703@danserver.net>
    2008-01-27 05:11:58,966 INFO [LmtpServer-3678] [name=LARS;mid=127;] mailbox - Added message: id=280, digest=Cs8l4hYQ2rtk,4Lxno3bvBGiWSs=, folderId=2, folderName=Inbox
    2008-01-27 05:11:59,036 INFO [LmtpServer-3678] [name=LARS;mid=127;] mailbox - outofoffice sent dest='DAN' rcpt='LARS' mid=280

the outofoffice message is not sent as far as i can check this.

greetings !!

Another thing i found is the message that should be sent, there is a header added like this:
    "Precedence: bulk"

Could it be that this message is not sent by a relay server (IMSS TrendMicro) that is between my zimbra server and the ousite world (firewall) because of this header ?

lars.

************ complete message ********************
    Received: from zimbra.arbinet.arbitrage.be (LHLO
    zimbra.arbinet.arbitrage.be) (172.16.0.13) by zimbra.arbinet.arbitrage.be
    with LMTP; Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:33:38 +0100 (CET)
    Received: from zimbra.arbinet.arbitrage.be (zimbra.arbinet.arbitrage.be [172.16.0.13])
    by zimbra.arbinet.arbitrage.be (Postfix) with ESMTP id 9C72B540C5
    for <lars.devocht@myserver.be>; Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:33:38 +0100 (CET)
    Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:33:38 +0100 (CET)
    To: lars.devocht@myserver.be
    Message-ID: <16260190.12961201520018629.JavaMail.root@zimbra.a rbinet.arbitrage.be>
    In-Reply-To: <8713084.12931201520018060.JavaMail.root@zimbra.ar binet.arbitrage.be>
    Subject: Re: tset
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Auto-Submitted: auto-replied (zimbra; vacation)
    Precedence: bulk

Geachte Mevrouw, Mijnheer,

Ik heb uw bericht goed ontvangen. Dit is een automatisch antwoord.

Mijn e-mail adres is veranderd naar lars.devocht(AT)myserver.be
    Gelieve (AT) te vervangen door een @ in bovenstaand adres.

Met beste groeten,
    Lars Devocht.

The outgoing message (coming from Zimbra) is bounced on my Trend Micro server GRRRRR:

Jan 27 05:12:02 w4000 postfix/smtp[24272]: 7D2E43FF07: to=<DAN>, relay=localhost[127.0.0.1], delay=0, status=bounced (host localhost[127.0.0.1] said: 503 connection rejected: MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=1159 (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

So it is NOT a Zimbra issue.

Hi Lars,

Sorry I didn't get the word before now--Pacific Time is a bit of a lag from where you are. . .

I can certainly confirm that I never got the message, and your TrendMicro log explains why. Obviously that is a concern for their support rather than ours, though it's possible someone on this site knows about the TM boxes and can point you in the right direction. I'm afraid I'm of no use there. . .

One thought that does occur to me, though. What is the function you have the TM box performing? Is it your firewall/ NAT box, I'm guessing? Perhaps you could configure it to simply pass port 25 traffic to/from your Zimbra box unscreened. It would seem to me that if your Zim box is properly set up and you have antivirus/antispyware on your clients, you really don't need to re-screen your outgoing mail at all. . .

Just a thought FWIW. . .

Dan

hi Dan, we've always used McAfee on the Desktop and TM as an double security against virusses and spam on the incoming e-mail. It is realy a good product for anti-virus and also (but a bit less) for anti-spam. I prefer to keep using it.

Anyway, my TM is setup so that our Zimbra server is among the "Permitted Senders of Relayed Mail". Until today i had no issues with TM.

Two things that still somehow 'bother' me:

1) when the mail gets rejected there is no sender address given by the Zimbra server (i think), at least that field seems not to be filled in the session between the servers:

Jan 27 05:12:02 w4000 postfix/smtp[24272]: 7D2E43FF07: to=<DAN>, relay=localhost[127.0.0.1], delay=0, status=bounced (host localhost[127.0.0.1] said: 503 connection rejected: MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=1159 (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

2) the header contains these extra fields:
    Auto-Submitted: auto-replied (zimbra; vacation)
    Precedence: bulk
    and i still wonder if "Precedence: bulk" somehow is maybe the reason for not letting the mail trough.

i found many hits about the header in Google and came up with this from Eudora:
    "There are certain messages that will not be re-sent via filter in order to prevent mail loops. A message with a Precedence: Bulk or Precedence: List header will not be forwarded. Also, any message with Errors-to: headers or List- headers will not auto-send via filtering. (You wouldn't want to reply back to a mailing list you are on and then reply back to your reply forever, now would you?)"

I consulted the RFC at RFC 821 (rfc821) - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and this is what i found:
    "If the commands in a transaction are out of order a 503 failure reply must be returned and the receiver-SMTP must stay in the same state."
    and "503 Bad sequence of commands"
    Could it be that the Zimbra server is doing an out of order transaction ???

thanks for any suggestion or help,
    Lars.
    Last edited by lars_BE; 01-29-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added another thing a found about error 503

Lars, I hate to punt here and I really don't like pointing fingers at the other guys, but I think this may be a question for TrendMicro support. I agree that according to the screen print you sent me the question of permitted relays can't be the problem. I am wondering, though, whether the TrendMicro scanning includes some option to stop autoresponder-generated messages from going outbound. . .which could be designed to avoid a bounce loop between two sites, but if configured wrong could be crashing your outgoing mail.

I understand your wanting to use TM as an additional filter on incoming mail--I certainly subscribe to the belt-and-suspenders strategy myself. But is it necessary to scan your OUTGOING mail? Perhaps you can configure the TM box to just pass the messages through unfiltered on outgoing only from allowed relays? Even if you could take it out of the loop temporarily it could confirm what's actually leaving your Zimbra box.

As to your valid questions about whether Zimbra's autoresponders comply with the RFE, I'll have to defer to people who are more expert than I. But meantime I'd love to see what sort of response you would get from TM if you show them the same setup you have showed us.

Keep us posted; maybe somebody here will have better ideas than I have.

Dan
    Last edited by dwmtractor; 01-29-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: bad grammar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information