Thread: Another Hide Alias in GAL Question

soxfan is offline Moderator

Default Another Hide Alias in GAL Question

I'm preparing to upgrade to version 5.0.1 over this coming weekend, and the issue of when, where, and how aliases are hidden in the GAL has me concerned and confused.

When version 4.0 came out bug 10456 appeared, where all aliases were showing up when searching the GAL. This bug was later fixed so that aliases did not show up at all in the GAL searches. There is also another bug/RFE, 14919 that is "assigned" to hide aliases on a per alias basis. In testing the GA version of 5.0 (and 5.0.1) I found that aliases were showing up again when do address auto-complete in a "compose new message" window; in other places the aliases are still hidden. (Although I have since found that they also show in the IM window). I created yet another bug (23298) for this issue. So far my bug hasn't generated much interest; still marked as "new", only one vote (my own), and only one other person commenting.

There seems to be some indication, based on some comments on bugs 23298 and 14919, and also from this thread that I started, that this is either the intended behavior or that it will be fixed when bug/RFE 14919 is "fixed".

My questions are: A) Why would this ever be the intended behavior; to hide aliases in most spots, but not in the address auto-complete? Am I the only one that finds the extra alias addresses showing up annoying and confusing? B) As far as this issue being fixed with 14919, I am afraid that this won't be the case. If alias hiding is already working in most places, but not in address auto-complete, how is hiding aliases on a per alias basis going to change this? I'm thinking if the current "hide alias" code is allowing aliases to show up in address auto-complete it will continue to do so, even if there is a check box to hide individual aliases.

Any thoughts or comments on this issue are welcome.

bertie_uk is offline Senior Member

No, I find this annoying too and was very pleased when bug 10456 was fixed and released.

Add you're votes to the bugs, seems that 10456 (at least) has been re-opened.

As far as I can tell, bug 10456 has not been re-opened. Status shows "VERIFIED"; resolution shows "FIXED". The last two comments mention the issue returning in version 5, and the last one refers to yet another bug (23687). This one sure seems like a duplicate of the one I created (23298), but I guess I'll vote for it.

bertie_uk is offline Senior Member

Sorry, yes has re-opened as bug 23687

Thanks. My bug has been opened since 12/27, and as I said in my first message in this thread, hasn't generated any interest. I don't care whether my bug (23298) gets marked as a duplicate of 23687, or vise-versa; or whether they both get closed and 10456 gets re-opened. I just want the issue solved. Hopefully this will draw some attention from the Zimbra folks.

Klug is offline Moderator

soxfan, you're not alone.

Customers who were happy to have the aliases not showing (bug fixed in 4.5.x) are now (very) unhappy to have them showned again...

The way it worked once "fixed" was just nice.

Right, to me this seems like a fairly major bug. Well, I guess not major in the sense that it totally breaks something, but is a fundamental change in the behavior from the way the system was working in 4.5.x after the fix to 10456. The one comment that it may have been the intended behavior just doesn't make any sense to me. I was just sort of surprised that the bug I opened hadn't draw more interest and/or support in the way of votes.

mmorse is offline Moderator

A little Déjà Vu from Hiding Aliases in 5.0 GA where we determined that it wasn't happening everywhere, but still in the most used place (the compose auto-complete).
    Now that I can I'll clean-up bugzilla on this a bit for ya

Thanks Mike. Can you do anything about getting it pushed up in the list of things to be fixed? Having it fixed in version 5.0.2 would be really cool, but I know I'm probably pushing it

Thread Information