Thread: Issues over satellite link perhaps

ringnebula is offline Loyal Member

Default Issues over satellite link perhaps

I want to preface this by saying that I haven't had time to do any exploration of this myself so I could be overlooking something but -

I have been at two client's offices in the past week that are rather remote and use a DirecWay satellite link to the internet, Zimbra just doesn't seem to work.

The login screen loads fine but upon actually loging in I receive a very broken page with no images and nothing but basic text. Now I'm really wishing I had taken a screenshot.......

As anyone who has used these satellite links in the past will know, the latency is horrendous at best which brings me to my question -

Could this latency be causing timeouts within the Zimbra UI and thus breaking it? Both machines are fully patched and updated windows machines running XP and IE 6 so that shouldn't be a problem.

I apologize for the long post for such a short question, but wanted to provide a decent amount of info.

Thanks

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Actually we've optimized for these exact sat links. We merge images into larger files so the latency shouldn't hurt us, and also gzip the CSS and JS files. My guess is your not running out latest code. If your on M3 (not M3 Update (aka M4_41) then you'll see this problem on IE. Firefox is ok but certian setup's with IE will cause the screen to be very broken due to a bug in IE's ability to un-gzip CSS when not in HTTP 1.1 mode or via web proxies.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

ringnebula is offline Loyal Member

Indeed I am on M3 - not the latest release. I'll do the upgrade and test again next time I am at one of the offices.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thread Information