Thread: Upgrading java from 1.6.0_02 to 1.6.0_04

flenser55 is offline New Member

Default Upgrading java from 1.6.0_02 to 1.6.0_04

The fix for Zimbra bug 22311, which we've been experiencing daily, is to upgrade java to 1.6.0_04. Currently, we're using 1.6.0_02 on a 4.5.10 installation.

I've downloaded 1.6.0_04 and placed the directory in /opt/zimbra/. I'd hoped that simply repointing the /opt/zimbra/java soft link from jdk1.6.0_02/ jdk1.6.0_04/ and restarting tomcat would swap in the new java. Alas, tomcat continues to use the older version. I've Googled and searched the Zimbra wiki and forums for instructions on how to do this, but all I've been able to find is how to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6. I don't think it should be this complex to simply move to a newer build of java 6, though.

The fix for this -- i.e., the newer version of java -- is included with 4.5.11 when it's released, but we'd really like to squash this bug now if we can. Can anyone tell me how to switch in the newer java version?

Thanks!

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,
    Just curious if there's anything keeping you from going to zcs5.0.1?
    ie: Are you also waiting on zcs4.5.11 for one of the sunset binaries?

We've just recently (1/5/08) gone live at Bucknell University with Zimbra. Given the planning, familiarization, and training that was necessary to prepare ourselves and our staff and students for Zimbra, it just wasn't possible to opt for 5.0 . Now that the semester has started, the earliest we'll be able to consider installing 5.0.x is spring break. Until then, we'll be running 4.5.x.

--
    Chris

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

FWIW, we at Carleton just upgraded from 4.5.10 to 5.0.1 yesterday. Risk was minimized by doing several test upgrades over the preceding weeks using copy-on-write SAN snapshots of /opt/zimbra mounted on another virtual server.

We could learn otherwise over the next week, but our thinking has been that the end-user impact of the update is small and positive.

Safari 3 support was a big driver, as was Outlook 2007. We don't expect to roll out Outlook 2007 to a significant number of users until Spring Break, but a two-month break-in period is going to be important.

Bug 23473 - CalendarCompose: Find Attendees downloads entire GAL is the only seriously user-impacting new bug that I know of.

So, anyway, will simply naming jdk1.6.0_04/ to jdk1.6.0_02/ (kludgey as it seems) do the trick, or is there more to it than that? I'm a little suspicious, given the directions for upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by flenser55 View Post
    So, anyway, will simply naming jdk1.6.0_04/ to jdk1.6.0_02/ (kludgey as it seems) do the trick, or is there more to it than that? I'm a little suspicious, given the directions for upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6.
    Well that will probably work...but now you've dug your self in a hole. There is no way to tell what the installer will do on upgrade when it tries to upgrade java. If I were you, I would mv the directory back before an upgrade.

On top of that, we still need to do QA on this. So before I yell **UNSUPPORTED**, I assume you know that, and I'll save you the hassle

There's a lot of things you can play with in Zimbra...Hacks are fun...but there are two things I will never mess with

Java
    Ldap

Good luck, and if you have any trouble, let us know. We'll try to help.

We've made the switch -- so far, so good (but it's only been an hour and a half). We're poised to revert at a moment's notice, should something go horribly awry.

I'm particularly anxious to see if we get any load-average spikes from here on out. Incidentally, the observed record for load average on our mailbox server was 389.82. Erk.

Thread Information