Thread: IMAP error: unable to store IMAP message data

ebatte is offline Junior Member

Exclamation IMAP error: unable to store IMAP message data

Hi,
    I'm trying out ZCS and I have an issue trying to access an external account via IMAP.

When I click "get external mail" I receive an error: "unable to store IMAP message data" and nothing downloads.

The imap server is a Kerio Mailserver on my local network.
    My ZCS installation is 5.0 open source edition, the OS is Ubuntu 6 running in a vmware virtual machine.

For what its worth I can connect to the same Kerio Mailserver using POP, but I also get an error and it never does a complete download of messages.

I'm trying the IMAP connection to see if/how I could possible migrate from Kerio so I also tried using Thunderbird to connect to ZCS & Kerio. I connect successfully to Kerio using IMAP, but it will not connect to ZCS at all. Thunderbird reports that the connection to the server has timed out.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Here is a portion of the log:
    name=ebatte@mydomain.com;mid=6;ip=192.168.0.60;ua= ZimbraWebClient - FF2.0 (Win)/5.0.1_GA_1902.UBUNTU6;ds=Kerio IMAP;] SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Unable to store IMAP message data
    Code:service.FAILURE
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:183)
    at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbImapFolder.createImapFolder(DbI mapFolder.java:108)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.ImapImport.importData(Ima pImport.java:263)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:149)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ImportData.handle(Impor tData.java:62)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:342)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:208)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:113)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:272)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:174)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:132)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:360)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(Re writeHandler.java:176)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLDataException: Data truncation: Out of range value adjusted for column 'uid_validity' at row 1

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by ebatte; 01-17-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added log entry

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ebatte View Post
    Hi,
    I'm trying out ZCS and I have an issue trying to access an external account via IMAP.
    When I click "get external mail" I receive an error: "unable to store IMAP message data" and nothing downloads.
    Welcome to the forums,
    This kinda looks like Bug 21101 - Mail: Imap external account: Dont allow drag-drop of imap folders or handle the imap error
    Would you have happened to have tried moving it at some point? Can you delete the external account (ds=Kerio IMAP) and try again?
    I'm trying the IMAP connection to see if/how I could possible migrate from Kerio so I also tried using Thunderbird to connect to ZCS & Kerio. I connect successfully to Kerio using IMAP, but it will not connect to ZCS at all. Thunderbird reports that the connection to the server has timed out.
    Thunderbird version?
    Here is a portion of the log:
    name=ebatte@mydomain.com;mid=6;ip=192.168.0.60;ua= ZimbraWebClient - FF2.0 (Win)/5.0.1_GA_1902.UBUNTU6;ds=Kerio IMAP;] SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Unable to store IMAP message data
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:183)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:149)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLDataException: Data truncation: Out of range value adjusted for column 'uid_validity' at row 1
    That's from the web client again which makes me think of 21101
    (uid_validity was added as part of Bug 19108 - IMAP aggregation: unable to handle message UID change from IMAP source)

Hi Mike,
    I saw that IMAP bug (21101), but I'm not sure if this is the same because since nothing ever downloads I obviously can't move any folders contained in the imap account. Now, I should correct myself here...I say nothing downloads, but actually I will see two one folder and one subfolder from the imap account. Neither have any contents and no other folders will ever display. I should also note that the folder that does display is at the root level but is not the inbox.

The version of TB I'm using is the latest: 2.0.0.9 (windows xp).

I googled the mysql error and came up with sever suggestions:

SET GLOBAL SQL_MODE=”;
    The "Out of range value adjusted for column ..." mysql errors are due to MySQL 5 running with a strict sql-mode.

You need to edit /etc/my.cnf and change sql-mode to something like:

sql-mode="NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

It cannot have any of the STRICT options or many of the "meta" modes like TRADITIONAL because that will also include STRICT semantics. See

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...-sql-mode.html

for more information.

Of course I have no idea even how to enter the mysql command line since I'm new to linux and no very little about mysql. I just want a good email server . If you only knew what it took for me to finally get a working installation of zcs! What a pain. Now I've got a working installation, but no working email so any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

For what it's worth, I may have worked around this.

I looked a bit more closely at the bug description and noticed that the "move" described was actually moving a folder from the root level to a subfolder on the root level. As I described in my previous post ZCS would download one folder and one subfolder prior to crashing so I suspected the subfolders were the cause as I had many on my account.

So, I deleted all of the subfolders on my imap account leaving only a one-level deep folder structure and recreated the imap account in ZCS. Then when I clicked "get external mail" it churned for minutes and appeared to be downloading everything. My entire imap folder structure is now represented in ZCS.

As I type this I notice that I now got a "SOAP header already exists" error and it stops downloading. I guess I'll go look into that error now.

For a new feature, I have to say that the external accounts is NOT working well enough to be a GA release.

Eric

I also just notice that zmcontrol status returns that zmmailboxctl stops when I get the "header already exists" error.

Any further diagnosis of this problem?

I have even tried creating a new user in Kerio and then create that external imap account in zimbra and the error persists.

Since my goal was to try to test zimbra and possible move messages from Kerio to zimbra I figured I'd try imapsync since I couldn't get the external account working.

Imapsync disconnects from zimbra when trying to login. When I telnet to zimbra it also disconnects when I try to login. Something very strange is going on.

Any ideas?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

That's the bug... Not sure there's much we can do about it until the bug get's fixed.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

For what it's worth, I may have worked around this.

I looked a bit more closely at the bug description and noticed that the "move" described was actually moving a folder from the root level to a subfolder on the root level. As I described in my previous post ZCS would download one folder and one subfolder prior to crashing so I suspected the subfolders were the cause as I had many on my account.

So, I deleted all of the subfolders on my imap account leaving only a one-level deep folder structure and recreated the imap account in ZCS. Then when I clicked "get external mail" it churned for minutes and appeared to be downloading everything. My entire imap folder structure is now represented in ZCS.

As I type this I notice that I now got a "SOAP header already exists" error and it stops downloading. I guess I'll go look into that error now.

For a new feature, I have to say that the external accounts is NOT working well enough to be a GA release.

Eric
    Sorry it's not working well enough. There's a bug. I suggest you wait for it to get fixed.

mbd
    mbd is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Sorry it's not working well enough. There's a bug. I suggest you wait for it to get fixed.
    I think this information may be of assistance - I was getting similar errors and it appeared that the external mail service wasn't coping with the name of one of the mailboxes on the remote IMAP server (Apple's .Mac mail service). It was called Junk (.Mac). I've since removed that folder from the remote server since it had no messages.

Excerpt from the mailbox.log

our.company.com2008-04-28 13:57:29,473 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Importing data.
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,006 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Found new remote folder things I need to keep. Creating local folder /MacMail/things I need to keep.
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,007 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] mailbox - Created folder /MacMail/things I need to keep, id=2613
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,232 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Found new remote folder Email before 2008. Creating local folder /MacMail/Email before 2008.
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,233 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] mailbox - Created folder /MacMail/Email before 2008, id=2614
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,435 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Found new remote folder Apple Mail To Do. Creating local folder /MacMail/Apple Mail To Do.
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,436 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] mailbox - Created folder /MacMail/Apple Mail To Do, id=2615
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,635 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Found new remote folder Deleted Messages. Creating local folder /MacMail/Deleted Messages.
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,636 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] mailbox - Created folder /MacMail/Deleted Messages, id=2616
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,825 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Found new remote folder Sent Messages. Creating local folder /MacMail/Sent Messages.
    2008-04-28 13:57:31,826 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] mailbox - Created folder /MacMail/Sent Messages, id=2617
    2008-04-28 13:57:32,025 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Found new remote folder Junk (.Mac). Creating local folder /MacMail/Junk (.Mac).
    2008-04-28 13:57:32,026 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] mailbox - Created folder /MacMail/Junk (.Mac), id=2618
    2008-04-28 13:57:32,035 WARN [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] datasource - Import failed
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:205)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Data truncation: Out of range value adjusted for column 'uid_validity' at row 1

Query being executed when exception was thrown:

com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement[1879] - INSERT INTO mboxgroup22.imap_folder (mailbox_id, item_id, data_source_id, local_path, remote_path, uid_validity) VALUES (22, 2618, '86be469a-aa5e-45d5-8b62-3de54973c6d3', '/MacMail/Junk (.Mac)', 'Junk (.Mac)', -1)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.ja va:2868)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:15 73)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.serverExecu te(ServerPreparedStatement.java:1160)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.executeInte rnal(ServerPreparedStatement.java:685)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Pre paredStatement.java:1400)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Pre paredStatement.java:1314)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Pre paredStatement.java:1299)
    at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatemen t.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:2 33)
    at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbImapFolder.createImapFolder(DbI mapFolder.java:103)
    ... 33 more
    2008-04-28 13:57:32,036 INFO [btpool0-284] [name=username@our.company.com;aname=admin@our.comp any.com;mid=22;ip=192.168.1.1;ds=MacMail;ua=Zimbra WebClient - FF2.0 (Mac)/5.0.1_GA_1902.MACOSXx86;] SoapEngine - handler exception
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:205)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Data truncation: Out of range value adjusted for column 'uid_validity' at row 1

Query being executed when exception was thrown:

com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement[1879] - INSERT INTO mboxgroup22.imap_folder (mailbox_id, item_id, data_source_id, local_path, remote_path, uid_validity) VALUES (22, 2618, '86be469a-aa5e-45d5-8b62-3de54973c6d3', '/MacMail/Junk (.Mac)', 'Junk (.Mac)', -1)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.ja va:2868)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:15 73)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.serverExecu te(ServerPreparedStatement.java:1160)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.ServerPreparedStatement.executeInte rnal(ServerPreparedStatement.java:685)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Pre paredStatement.java:1400)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Pre paredStatement.java:1314)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Pre paredStatement.java:1299)
    at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatemen t.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:2 33)
    at com.zimbra.cs.db.DbImapFolder.createImapFolder(DbI mapFolder.java:103)
    ... 33 more
    2008-04-28 13:57:45,062 INFO [IndexWritersSweeperThread] [] index - open index writers sweep: before=3, closed=0, after=3 (0ms)

Thread Information