Thread: Queues are stuck and growing - help please

nimbra is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Queues are stuck and growing - help please

Production system of Zimbra (v 3.1.2 on 2.6.15_FC5). Yes, for an open source product I realize the version is old and running on a non-supported OS.

But if you can get past that this system has run relatively fine for this company's needs for over 1.5 years. On occasion there has been a build up of messages in the Active/Deferred queues. I handled these by putting them in Hold then restarting all zimbra services (/etc/init.d/zimbra stop|start). Sometimes I'd need to delete something that kept going into the deferred queue. I wasn't sure why the symptoms occured or the *solution* worked but it did.

Until now that is. Messages are piling up in the Active/Deferred queue and no matter what I have tried they just won't process.

Doing a postqueue -p reveals a lot of messages that say "spam_scan FAILED: timed out (in reply to end of DATA command)".

Tailing the zimbra.log shows things such as:

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[87.251.152.2]: 550 <former.user>@<ourcompany.com>: Recipient address rejected: <ourcompany.com>; from=<cushier792@visionwide.com> to=<former.user>@<ourcompany.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<[87.251.152.2]

and

NOTICE: Not sending DSN, spam level exceeds DSN cutoff level for all recips, mail intentionally dropped

There seems to be several hacks/spam going on connecting directly to the server (one address in particular is a big spammer). I'm not sure if this is the problem or a coincidental symptom.

Not sure where to go from here and need some hand holding. Can anybody help? Upgrading is not an option at this time. Just trying to get it back to a working state.

Thanks.

Update - at some point on wednesday the queues just started clearing themselves up. However, the symptoms keep popping up, usually cleared out by restarting zimbra. But performance is so bad right now that IMAP connections are pretty much at a halt.

The workstation this is on has two mirrored disks. Running top reveals an I/O Wait of 30-60% and mysqld chewing up 80%+ of the CPU. dspam is hovering around 3%.

There are only 48 mailboxes configured with total mailbox size of 7.8gb. The top 8 mailboxes are 6.8gb.

My hypothesis is that this size database is just too much for the hardware to handle thus running high cpu times for mysqld and big I/O wait times.

Thoughts on this?

Also - any advice on how to easily delete thousands of messages? Trying to do so through IMAP is adding to the I/O crush an going through the web browser you can only do 100 at a time (if that doesn't hang).

Thanks.
    Last edited by nimbra; 01-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Unhappy Help anyone???

Problem is pretty bad today. Mail is stuck in the active queue no matter what I do. requeue, hold->release, flush, restart zimbra. They just sit there and are collecting. Business people can't get important emails in or out now for a few hours.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default disk partition

Next time this happens, take a look at df output - one thing we fixed in recent-ish versions was a problem where the tmpfs we used for amavis processing would fill up, and it all fell apart. One thing that often caused this was trying to expand zip files.

If you're still using the version with a tmpfs, to fix it:

stop zimbra
    umount the amavis tmpfs
    remove the entry for it from /etc/fstab
    restart

And, you really should upgrade.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thread Information