Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Re: CentOS Official Support

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by brwatters View Post
    Ok .. now you have me worried as we have CentOS v4.6 and Zimbra v5.0GA installed .. all appears to be working without issue .. what to look for to confirm all is well??

BRW
    While I don't know that this will always be the case, and please only take this as opinion, but you're probably okay. As it's already using the correct libs, and it hasn't died.

I'm sure there are a specific set of circumstances for which this can happen, but we haven't looked into it much. If you'all want to test, etc, go for it!

brwatters is offline Special Member

Hmm .. we have used CentOS v4.x since the day we turned our install up over 2 years ago without issue .. Only minor issues with Zimbra that many others on other platforms has as well ..

We have found CentOS to be a stable and robust OS and run well over 120 servers from the v3.x all the way up to v5.x servers.

BRW

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

You know what would be really cool? You know how dijichi2 builds Solaris? We're trying hard to get our Perforce cache out. If someone wants to take the community lead for building it for CentOS (then I'll shut up), then that would go a long way.

Just a thought.

You know what would also be really cool? If I changed the name of this thread from Jholder centos to CentOS Support Feedback

brwatters is offline Special Member

Smile

J you know I love you .. Not asking for CentOS support .. Just wanting a bit of comfort from my provider .. I know folks in Zimbra where or may still be running Zimbra on one flavor of CentOS not to long ago which is really what made us move to Zimbra over others.

The fact is it works for us just wanted to know if there where any areas that I should pay attention to, As you stated its running and has not died since the upgrade took place, its moved about 100k worth of email on the production server without issue so I assume its all good.

I guess in closing its a good thread to let others no its not totally a dead end with CentOS

BRW

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Hi Guys

I just wanted to add my tuppenyworth (2c for those on the other side of the pond).

Zimbra has always been very very clear on what OSs are supported for the official paying Network Edition of Zimbra - their policy is official long term, commercially supported OSs like RHEL, SLES, OSX and Ubuntu. This is a great policy on so many levels. Those of you trying to save 200 quid by running a freeware non-commercial OS for Zimbra as your main communications platform for your respective company, are completely bonkers IMHO. Further, in many corporate environments by running unsupported software you are not performing your fiduciary duty (ok not quite the right place for this term) and would most likely fail any detailed audit - eg. in my case of running NE in offshore banking if they failed audit because of this I would be fired on the spot. I have in the past deliberately migrated entire company server OS specifically to give Zimbra a fluffy supported environment, a painful operation that I would do again in a heartbeat. If you're really stuck, install RHEL/Ubuntu/SLES under vmware or similar just for Zimbra.

The situation is the opposite for the opensource version. This is where we should be contributing support for other platforms, which is why I've posted numerous hacks for shoe-horning zimbra onto various Ubuntu and Solaris platforms (probably much to the chagrin of Zimbra people!). Please, if you have the time/ability/inclination, delve a little into whatever problems you're having on your unsupported platform and come up with a suggestion how to fix it, better yet a patch, and raise a bug/rfe. This way the whole community benefits as in the future more platforms will be supported. For instance, if I ever get through the pain that is the solaris port, I hope to look into producing an installer that supports multiple versions of Ubuntu, and one that might support both 32 and 64bits. It would be great to get community patches/fixes for CentOS for the opensource version, that would be emminently sensible option. But for NE, purely personal opinion, I think Zimbra would be crazy to support it.

</climbs down from soapbox>
    Last edited by dijichi2; 01-08-2008 at 02:41 AM.

langs is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    Those of you trying to save 200 quid by running a freeware non-commercial OS for Zimbra as your main communications platform for your respective company, are completely bonkers IMHO. Further, in many corporate environments by running unsupported software you are not performing your fiduciary duty
    Yeah and if that was the case then no one would be running linux today in a production enviroment. I don't know about you but I started with Debian Buzz in 1996 before there were any commerical support arrangements from the likes of redhat.

And as far as I am concerned the version of centos I use being 4.5 has 100% upstream base compatiablity with RHEL, like ANY distro you mess with it by adding 3rd party packages you can and likely will break it.

I also get audited by 3rd party quality assurance companies 3 times a year and have never failed and proven our server enviroment to be stable. Just because their isn't offical or even commerical support for it doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. This is the problem with IT today no one wants to take it on their own bat, gotta have a vendor to blame.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Yeah and if that was the case then no one would be running linux today in a production enviroment. I don't know about you but I started with Debian Buzz in 1996 before there were any commerical support arrangements from the likes of redhat.
    I hear you, I have run company, university, government entities off Linux for nearly 15 years, and yes the original distros like slackware ydraggsil debian etc were pretty crude (fortunately the kernel has always been rock solid!) but they did the job.

However these days, there are stable, supported, commercial versions available for tiny amounts of money. The base subscription to RHEL is pittance, and as critical corporate systems I would never dream of putting myself in a situation of having to explain why I can't get vendor support on a system because I'm running unsupported non-commercial software to save a few quid. It's not about proving a server is stable, it's about corporate accountability. Once every couple of years I do find myself on the phone to Zimbra/Redhat at 3am tracking down some obscure problem and that's why it's worth it.

Would you run your multi-[bm]illion company email system off opensource Zimbra, with just the forums for support if it goes tits up one day and you've got hundreds of people shouting at you to get it running? Would that be responsible?

Edit: I'm surprising myself reading my replies - I'm normally an opensource zealot!
    Last edited by dijichi2; 01-08-2008 at 03:45 AM.

langs is offline Special Member

"it's about corporate accountability"

I would rather trust myself when it comes to accountability then blindly put my faith in a vendor. The only OS I have support agreements for is Solaris and that's only cause it is built into the licensing of some of the product we use.

Prior to Zimbra all our linux boxes have been debian because thats where I come from and have never seen a need to change that. Whilst Redhat has come along way I still have nightmares about fixing someone elses RH4.2 installation and the dependency hell it put you through. When we decided to use Zimbra for mail I opted to use CentOS as a middle ground, I see no reason to pay for RHEL and the last two years of perfect uptime with centos has proven it is not required.

To be honest when I was doing the proof of concept work for Zimbra if it hadn't worked with Centos cleanly we would not be using Zimbra today, but Sun One Messaging server on Solaris.

"Would you run your multi-[bm]illion company email system off opensource Zimbra, with just the forums for support if it goes tits up one day and you've got hundreds of people shouting at you to get it running? Would that be responsible?"

No I wouldn't not because I must have vendor support, but because internally our department doesn't have the history with it to take care of it. Also there was more value to buying zimbra then just the support like added features such as the mobile connectivity and the outlook connector. In truth it is often faster and better to look for help on the forums then contact support, it might just be our time zone differences but I have found I get a response faster on the forums then if I logged it. If I log it, it is never responded to in the same busniess day for us, it's not till 8-9pm that night that I get a responce from the support portal.

That said I know an awful lot of universities etc using sendmail or qmail et al with out any vendor support for it.
    Last edited by langs; 01-08-2008 at 04:04 AM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

I have read Johns announcement again and don't understand the following :-

"To all who are having an issue with Scalar::Util on 5.0-

We've identified that the issue is not with Zimbra, but rather CentOS."

From this thread #27598: XS version error from Compress:Zlib it would seem that the problem has been around for a while, including on RedHat.

Hence why Scalar::Util has been included in the GA 5 release for RHEL4, and in one of the bug reports Bug 22466 - 20071204022445 build multinode install failure will be included in all other releases.

drdre is offline Elite Member

well i am not a pro with linux as yet.. but i have used it for years..

I decided to use CentOS5 for my zimbra box for emails.. because frankly in my country paying for RED HAT and to get it support for what we do is close to 2000USD annually and at the present exchange rate in my country.. thats just not feasible for a small company to be paying out.

I have used debian, redhat, fedora,suse, mandrake and centOS.. over the 5 to 6 years and to be honest with you guys i have never had any real issues with CentOS.. Its been stable.. there is a wide support for it... its community base is very helpful... so y must i choice RedHat ??? please give me five good reasons for this???

Long live ZIMBRA!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information