Thread: Migrating from one server to another and upgrading from 4.5 to 5.0 AND port changes

jadestorm is offline Active Member

Talking Migrating from one server to another and upgrading from 4.5 to 5.0 AND port changes

Hi Folk! I just successfully upgraded and moved my server and since it was pretty complex and someone else may try the same thing, I thought I'd post what I did.

First off, I used this as a reference:
    http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...er_server.html

So... here's the scenario. I have a primary server, we'll call it example.org (10.0.0.1 internally). It handles DNS, NAT/being the internal primary router, and just about everything. To start with, it is running Zimbra. This box is running CentOS 4.6 and Zimbra 4.5.10. The mail domain is example.org, same as the host. Now, seeing as I had HTTP and LDAP services of my own, I was changed the following Zimbra ports:
    - HTTP (80) -> 6390
    - HTTPS (443) -> 6391
    - LDAP (143) -> 6392

I want to move this to another CentOS 4.6 box, move the ports back to their original locations, still allow port 6390/6391 to work, and upgrade to Zimbra 5. I will also need to change the hostname since the original server will retain the example.org hostname. New host will be zimbra.example.org (10.0.0.100 internally). This is going to be a VM under example.org actually, but this isn't really important.

So, pretty complex procedure. Had a number of failures at first but finally nailed it. I'm going to prefix these things with newhost (zimbra.example.org) and oldhost (example.org) to distinguish them. Here is what all I did:

Initial Migration

1. newhost: just in case I was trying things before, make sure all of the zimbra RPMs are not installed
    2. newhost: download zimbra package, and: install -s (software only install)
    3. newhost: edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group and make the zimbra and postfix users and groups have the same uid and gid as they have on oldhost
    4. oldhost: tar up current zimbra install (cd /opt; tar cvjpf zimbra.tar.bz2 zimbra) this takes a while and there are a number of other ways you can do this
    5. oldhost: scp zimbra.tar.bz2 root@zimbra.example.org:~
    6. newhost: cd /opt
    7. newhost: rm -rf zimbra
    8. newhost: tar xvjpf ~/zimbra.tar.bz2
    9. newhost: edit /etc/hosts, make example.org resolve to this host for now
    10. newhost: su - zimbra
    11. newhost: zmcontrol start (now, the logger job failed for me once here, i just did a zmcontrol stop, make sure to clean up all zimbra processes, and zmcontrol start again and it was fine the next time)
    12. newhost: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername zimbra.example.org
    13. newhost: zmcontrol stop
    14. newhost: edit the following files, changing port 6390 to 80, 6391 to 443, 6392 to 143, admin@zimbra.example.org to admin@example.org, and any hostname (not domain) related example.org to zimbra.example.org:
    - conf/swatchrc
    - conf/amavisd.conf
    - conf/localconfig.xml
    - postfix/conf/main.cf
    - cyrus-sasl/etc/saslauthd.conf
    - ssl/ssl/zmssl.cnf (needed to get root to change this one)
    15. newhost: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtainit
    16. newhost: zmcontrol start
    17. newhost: zmprov ms zimbra.example.org zimbraMailPort 80 zimbraMailSSLPort 443
    18. newhost: zmcontrol stop
    19. newhost: get root back, remove the /etc/hosts example.org reference to this host
    20. newhost: zmcontrol start
    21. newhost: log into admin console for zimbra, set up new self signed ssl cert of *.example.org (and set the bottom hosts thing to zimbra.example.org and example.org) I also had to do a zmcontrol stop and zmcontrol start to catch the new certs.
    22. oldhost: change the MX record for example.org to point to zimbra.vorpalcloud.org
    23. oldhost: I set up postfix and relayhost = [10.0.0.100], mydestination = (yes, leave that blank), relay_domains = localhost, localhost.localdomain, example.org this set up all local mail to go through my new mail host
    24. oldhost: set up iptables rules to redirect external network traffic to port 6390 to 10.0.0.100:80, 6391 to 10.0.0.100:443, 25 to 10.0.0100:25
    25. oldhost: set up apache to answer also on 6390 and 6391 and set a rewrite rule to redirect to zimbra.example.org port 80 and port 443 (external world never sees this, but this took care of internal world)

Ok, now we have migrated Zimbra 4.5 to the new host. I tried it out and make sure things were working right. Once I was happy with it, I went to upgrade to 5.0.

26. newhost: set up PERLLIB and PERL5LIB variables for root's .bashrc to match zimbra's .bashrc
    27. newhost: . ~/.bashrc (to make sure perl vars are loaded)
    28. newhost: download zcs-5.0
    29. newhost: extract and ./install.sh

At this point, all was working great! Complex, but I got through it! I know some of this could have been done via command line tools instead of direct file edits, but I preferred the manual edit method.

I hope this can be helpful to someone else!
    Last edited by jadestorm; 03-17-2008 at 05:08 AM.
    The most addictive drug in the world is music.
    - The Lost Boyz

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Jade,
    Do you have a Zimbra Shirt? Send me your Shipping info to jholder@zimbra.com. I'll send you one.

Wow really? Thanks! I'll private message you that info. =)

One other thing, I also set up iptables forwarding for 143 and 993 to the new server from the outside world. =)
    - The Lost Boyz

aoddy is offline Active Member

Default No 8.

I think option of tar command of No.8 is "xvjpf"

tar xvjpf ~/zimbra.tar.bz2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Normal man

Ack, yes, you are correct.
    - The Lost Boyz

dlbewley is offline Senior Member

Question same procedure different outcome

I'm doing basically the same thing. I'm trying to begin by cloning my system
    and giving it a new name.

Production server: prodserver.example.com 192.168.215.186 RHEL 4.6x86_64 Zimbra zcs-NETWORK-4.5.9_GA_1454

Test server: testserver.example.com 192.168.102.112 RHEL 4.6x86_64 zcs-NETWORK-4.5.9_GA_1454

1. Install RH on new server.
    2. Install Zimbra 'install.sh -s'
    3. Remove /opt/zimbra/*
    4. Restore a backup of prodserver:/opt/zimbra to testserver.
    5. Create a snapshot for repeated testing:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # quick script to revert zimbra to fresh snapshot
    mkdir -p /opt/zimbra-static
    umount /opt/zimbra/backup
    umount /opt/zimbra
    umount /opt/zimbra-static
    lvremove -f /dev/VG0/SnapZimbra
    mount /dev/VG0/LVZimbra /opt/zimbra-static
    lvcreate -L2G -s -n SnapZimbra /dev/VG0/LVZimbra
    mount /dev/VG0/SnapZimbra /opt/zimbra
    mount /dev/VG0/LVZimbra /opt/zimbra-static
    mount /dev/VG0/LVZimbraBak /opt/zimbra/backup
    6. Make sure testing on testserver can not affect prodserver
    Code:
    [root@prodserver log]# iptables -I INPUT  -s 192.168.102.112 -j REJECT
    7. The `hostname` command on testserver returns testserver.example.com. I didn't do any DNS magic, but I did:
    Code:
    echo "192.168.102.112         testserver.example.com testserver" >> /etc/hosts
    echo "192.168.102.112         prodserver.example.com prodserver" >> /etc/hosts
    8. As user zimbra:
    Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername testserver.example.com
    Watched it scroll by as it manipulated all the accounts. This started up and left a slapd running with a reference to prodserver:
    Code:
    zimbra   28016     1  0 15:41 ?        00:00:00 /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd -l LOCAL0 -4 -u zimbra -h ldap://prodserver.example.com:389 -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf
    So I did a zmcontrol stop.
    9. Fix all the config files that still have the prodserver hostname in them:
    Code:
    [root@testserver conf]# for f in `grep -l prodserver /opt/zimbra/conf/*`; do \
    echo "fixing $f"; \
    perl -pi.bak -e 's/prodserver/testserver/g'; \
    done
    10. zmcontrol start
    11. Try to run zmprov and get error
    Code:
    [zimbra@testserver ~]$ zmprov help
    [] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    [] INFO: Retrying request
    [] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    So I dug a little and found and tomcat is not running.
    Code:
    [zimbra@testserver ~]$ zmcontrol status
    Host testserver.example.com
            antispam                Running
            antivirus               Running
            ldap                    Running
            logger                  Stopped
                    zmlogswatchctl is not running
            mailbox                 Stopped
                    tomcat is not running
            mta                     Running
            snmp                    Stopped
                    swatch is not running
            spell                   Running
            stats                   Stopped
    In /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/logs/catalina.out I find the following
    Code:
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:26 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:27 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:27 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7071
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:27 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
    INFO: Initialization processed in 1799 ms
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:27 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
    INFO: Starting service Catalina
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:27 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
    INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.15
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:27 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
    INFO: XML validation disabled
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext resourcesStart
    SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/server/webapps/manager does not exist or is not a readable directory
            at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:140)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3812)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3983)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:603)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:535)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1118)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
            at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1020)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:406)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at com.zimbra.cs.launcher.TomcatLauncher.start(TomcatLauncher.java:42)
            at com.zimbra.cs.launcher.TomcatLauncher.main(TomcatLauncher.java:64)
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Error in resourceStart()
    SEVERE: Error getConfigured
    SEVERE: Context [/manager] startup failed due to previous errors
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
    INFO: Container org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager] has not been started
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:29 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
    WARNING: A docBase /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase).
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext resourcesStart
    SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/server/webapps/host-manager does not exist or is not a readable directory
            at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:140)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3812)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3983)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:603)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:535)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1118)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
            at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1020)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:406)
            at com.zimbra.cs.launcher.TomcatLauncher.start(TomcatLauncher.java:42)
            at com.zimbra.cs.launcher.TomcatLauncher.main(TomcatLauncher.java:64)
    SEVERE: Error in resourceStart()
    SEVERE: Error getConfigured
    SEVERE: Context [/host-manager] startup failed due to previous errors
    Apr 2, 2008 5:08:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
    INFO: Container org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager] has not been started
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase).
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=110 bindaddr=null ssl=false
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=995 bindaddr=null ssl=true
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=143 bindaddr=null ssl=false
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=993 bindaddr=null ssl=true
    Zimbra server process is running as root, changing to user=zimbra uid=500 gid=500
    Zimbra server process, after change, is running with uid=500 euid=500 gid=500 egid=500
    Well, /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/server/webapps is empty on prodserver and testserver. Red herring?

I found this post Tomcat error messages and I did
    Code:
    [root@testserver logs]# /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms
    and it made no perceptable change.

Any ideas how to make tomcat happy?

Default was mysql buffer size issue

Yay.

I looked in mailbox.log and found
    Code:
     [root@testserver zimbra]# grep config.frm /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Incorrect information in file: './zimbra/config.frm'
    And I then looked in
    /opt/zimbra/db/data/`hostname`.err and found many similar errors like this
    Code:
    080403 13:22:10 [ERROR] /opt/zimbra/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Incorrect information in file: './zimbra/volume.frm'
    080403 13:22:24 [ERROR] /opt/zimbra/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Incorrect information in file: './zimbra/config.frm'
    Turns out the innodb buffers are set to large for my test machine. The
    production machine as 16GB and the test machine has 2GB.
    Code:
    [zimbra@testserver conf]$ grep size /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf
    sort_buffer_size = 1048576
    read_buffer_size = 1048576
    # Increase the size of the table cache, since each mailbox has its
    innodb_buffer_pool_size   = 5025638400
    innodb_log_file_size      = 104857600
    innodb_log_buffer_size    = 8388608
    Code:
    [zimbra@prodserver conf]$ free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:      16359336   16249640     109696          0     335676    7426924
    -/+ buffers/cache:    8487040    7872296
    Swap:      5261240       5120    5256120
    Code:
    [zimbra@testserver conf]$ free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       2057292    1472876     584416          0     125600     621432
    -/+ buffers/cache:     725844    1331448
    Swap:      1052248      51188    1001060
    So after turning innodb_buffer_pool_size way down tomcat started and Zimbra
    WUI works. Now I'll just have to coax out the appropriate values and continue
    with upgrade testing.

I wonder if there is a zimbra tool that comes up with some sane defaults for a given RAM configuration.

Talking

I wonder if there is a zimbra tool that comes up with some sane defaults for a given RAM configuration.
    Why yes. There is such a handy script. It is /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmycnf. This looks a little more sane for a 2G box.

Code:
    [zimbra@testserver libexec]$ ./zmmycnf |grep size
    sort_buffer_size = 1048576
    read_buffer_size = 1048576
    # Increase the size of the table cache, since each mailbox has its
    innodb_buffer_pool_size   = 632000102
    innodb_log_file_size      = 104857600
    innodb_log_buffer_size    = 8388608

wfweaver is offline Trained Alumni

Default Migrating server AND OS - same Zimbra version

I currently have a multi-server install of Zimbra 5.0.2 NE. There are 2 smtp servers, 2 mailbox servers serving production, and 1 server used internally that has smtp and mailbox installed (as well as logger). The master ldap server is currently on one of the production smtp servers. When initially installed, some of the servers were built under 32 bit RedHat and others under 64 bit. I'd like for them all to be 64 bit. In addition, I want to split out the master ldap to its own server and have replicated ldap's on the mta's. Finally, I have a new server I've built to replace the server used internally so I need to do a 32 bit to 64 bit migration on it as well as moving all the mailboxes, logger db, etc over to it.

I expect this to be a fairly complex migration. What is the best/recommended way of performing this upgrade and migration? How can I best do this to minimize downtime to the users?

Sean1072 is offline New Member

Default No Admin UI - servlet not available issues

I followed the steps as noted above, and after copying over the oldhost zimbra folder I start having issues. The admin ui doesn't come up (regular ui is fine) and when I try to run zmprov I get the following:

ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke unable to parse response: <html><head><title>Apache Tomcat/5.5.15 - Error report</title><style><!--H1 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;} H2 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;} H3 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;} BODY {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} B {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;} P {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : black;}A.name {color : black;}HR {color : #525D76;}--></style> </head><body><h1>HTTP Status 404 - Servlet AdminServlet is not available</h1><HR size="1" noshade="noshade"><p><b>type</b> Status report</p><p><b>message</b> <u>Servlet AdminServlet is not available</u></p><p><b>description</b> <u>The requested resource (Servlet AdminServlet is not available) is not available.</u></p><HR size="1" noshade="noshade"><h3>Apache Tomcat/5.5.15</h3></body></html>, server: localhost) (cause: com.zimbra.soap.SoapParseException unable to parse response: <html><head><title>Apache Tomcat/5.5.15 - Error report</title><style><!--H1 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;} H2 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;} H3 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;} BODY {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} B {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;} P {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : black;}A.name {color : black;}HR {color : #525D76;}--></style> </head><body><h1>HTTP Status 404 - Servlet AdminServlet is not available</h1><HR size="1" noshade="noshade"><p><b>type</b> Status report</p><p><b>message</b> <u>Servlet AdminServlet is not available</u></p><p><b>description</b> <u>The requested resource (Servlet AdminServlet is not available) is not available.</u></p><HR size="1" noshade="noshade"><h3>Apache Tomcat/5.5.15</h3></body></html>)
    I was able to install zimbra 4.5.10 on the newhost successfully. The admin ui worked and zmprov wouldn't barf when I tried to use it. After copying over the old files, I noticed this in mailbox.log after the zmcontrol start:

2008-05-28 12:51:04,007 FATAL [main] [] soap - Unable to start servlet
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Could not bind to port=7025 bindaddr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ssl=false useChannels=false
    The first thing I noticed is that binaddr is the ip address of the oldhost. It's not a hostname (like everyone else's examples seem to be). I've grep'd through all the files for the IP looking for something that the zmsetservername may have missed and haven't found anything.

I've tried several different times and still encounter the same error.

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any other Zimbra logs that might point me in the right direction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sean1072; 05-28-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Thread Information