Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instant Messaging

davidfsmith is offline Special Member

Default IM Clients

Ok so I've managed to connect using the following IM Clients

Adium
    Pidgin
    Trillian

All using the relevant jabber connection / account options, however for some reason iChat doesn't want to play... anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be ?

Mark Daniel is offline Senior Member

Default iChat workin' for me!

The fix I posted appears to carry over across restarts, FYI. Here's what I have for my iChat settings (all users are in the same domain, btw):

jabber id: user@domain.com
    server: fqdn.oftheserver.com
    port: 5223 (√) use ssl
    ( ) auto discover server & port
    (√) warn before
    ( ) use kerberos

location information shouldn't matter.
    mark daniel | actc
    zcs 6 ose | mac pro | mac os x server 10.4.11

davidfsmith is offline Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daniel View Post
    The fix I posted appears to carry over across restarts, FYI. Here's what I have for my iChat settings (all users are in the same domain, btw):

jabber id: user@domain.com
    server: fqdn.oftheserver.com
    port: 5223 (√) use ssl
    ( ) auto discover server & port
    (√) warn before
    ( ) use kerberos

location information shouldn't matter.
    That works, probably about the only combination I hadn't tried.

Magic
    ;-)

jareep is offline Special Member

What are the magical settings to connect via Pidgin 2.3.1? For instance, lets say I have port 5222 and 5223 on the firewall, my user name is test, my domain name is test.com, and my server name is im.test.com. I've tried everything I can think of and I keep getting a "Read Error".

And fyi, I can telnet to both ports successfully...
    Last edited by jareep; 01-11-2008 at 11:05 AM.

I download another client called Exodus and it seems to get a little further than Pidgin. When I connected with Exodus I got a prompt to save and accept the SSL certificate. I allowed it, and it continued connecting. I saw my buddy list for about a millisecond, then the connection was terminated. It auto-reconnected and same problem.

Here is the log info:
    2008-01-11 13:24:12,668 INFO [SocketAcceptorIoProcessor-0.0] [] im - XMPP Session created: (SOCKET, R: /24.196.195.122:31231, L: /10.5.3.2:5222, S: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:5222)
    2008-01-11 13:24:12,673 INFO [AnonymousIoService-11] [] im - Handshaking complete for client
    2008-01-11 13:24:13,943 ERROR [AnonymousIoService-14] [] im - Could not route packet
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.Provisioning.onLocalServer(P rovisioning.java:1809)
    at com.zimbra.cs.im.provider.ZimbraRoutingTableImpl.g etCloudRoute(ZimbraRoutingTableImpl.java:100)
    at com.zimbra.cs.im.provider.ZimbraRoutingTableImpl.g etRoute(ZimbraRoutingTableImpl.java:128)
    at com.zimbra.cs.im.provider.ZimbraRoutingTableImpl.g etRoute(ZimbraRoutingTableImpl.java:93)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter .java:223)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter. java:105)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.rou te(PacketRouterImpl.java:72)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.process IQ(SocketReader.java:356)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.ClientSocketReader.p rocessIQ(ClientSocketReader.java:62)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.process (SocketReader.java:322)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.NioReadingMode.proce ss(NioReadingMode.java:124)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.NioReadingMode.nioRe adCompleted(NioReadingMode.java:171)
    at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.NioAcceptingMode$Nio IoHandlerAdapter.messageReceived(NioAcceptingMode. java:95)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in$TailFilter.messageReceived(AbstractIoFilterChai n.java:703)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in.callNextMessageReceived(AbstractIoFilterChain.j ava:362)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in.access$1100(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:54)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(AbstractIoFilterCha in.java:800)
    at org.apache.mina.filter.support.SSLHandler.flushPos tHandshakeEvents(SSLHandler.java:290)
    at org.apache.mina.filter.SSLFilter.messageReceived(S SLFilter.java:451)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in.callNextMessageReceived(AbstractIoFilterChain.j ava:362)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in.access$1100(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:54)
    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterCha in$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(AbstractIoFilterCha in.java:800)
    at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.pro cessEvent(ExecutorFilter.java:247)
    at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$Pro cessEventsRunnable.run(ExecutorFilter.java:307)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run Task(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    2008-01-11 13:24:13,945 INFO [AnonymousIoService-14] [] im - XMPP Session closed: (SOCKET, R: /24.196.195.122:31231, L: /10.5.3.2:5222, S: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:5222)

Apparently, its a known bug? Bug 23521 - IM: NPE during initial startup

folioguru is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Default So, how do I IM from Zimbra

OK, got IM up and running in Zimbra. So, what are the steps to use it?

If, in Zimbra, I want to instant message someone on MSN, do I also need an MSN account? Or, is it that all I need is their MSN screen name entered into their contact profile?

When my Zimbra IM screen comes up, there are now these two icons at the bottom: One for aol, the other for msn. When I put my cursor over one or the other, it says I am not logged into the service. Do I need to be logged into MSN in order to IM someone on MSN?

What is the format of the screen name I should give someone on MSN/AOL to IM me on Zimbra?

Thanks to anyone who can explain how this is supposed to work.

sturgis is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by folioguru View Post
    OK, got IM up and running in Zimbra. So, what are the steps to use it?

If, in Zimbra, I want to instant message someone on MSN, do I also need an MSN account? Or, is it that all I need is their MSN screen name entered into their contact profile?

When my Zimbra IM screen comes up, there are now these two icons at the bottom: One for aol, the other for msn. When I put my cursor over one or the other, it says I am not logged into the service. Do I need to be logged into MSN in order to IM someone on MSN?

What is the format of the screen name I should give someone on MSN/AOL to IM me on Zimbra?

Thanks to anyone who can explain how this is supposed to work.
    Is there any wiki on how the IM works?
    I did what it is written in this thread and now I can add contacts, that's it.

How does it work? Do I have to open these 2 ports in my firewall?
    Help

mjanthony is offline New Member

How do you remove that stupid Yahoo Icon (at the bottom right) within the Instant Messenger screen within the webui?

Cheers!

-- MJ.

carlos.labarca is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jareep View Post
    What are the magical settings to connect via Pidgin 2.3.1? For instance, lets say I have port 5222 and 5223 on the firewall, my user name is test, my domain name is test.com, and my server name is im.test.com. I've tried everything I can think of and I keep getting a "Read Error".

And fyi, I can telnet to both ports successfully...
    I had the same "Read Error",

The problem is the connection parameters.

It's worked for me:
    Pidgin version : Pidgin 2.3.1-1.fc8
    Protocol : XMPP
    User : carlos.labarca
    Domain : xxxxxx.xx
    (ssl checked)
    Port : 5222
    Server mail.xxxxxx.xx

Good luck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information