Thread: [SOLVED] Ballooning hdd usage

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Default [SOLVED] Ballooning hdd usage

OK, this seems a little weird to me. I have 4.5.10 installed on a PIII 1.4GHz system with 2 GB RAM and software Linux RAID, 68GB partition mounted as / handling everything but swap. Performance is good, no complaints at all.

I have roughly 30 accounts ranging in size from barely there to 400+ MB, but if I go down the Server Statistics page on the admin UI and add the current mailbox sizes up I get roughly 2.3 GB of total messages in store. However, I'm using the Simple Shell Script backup method, and the size of my backup file (which is a tar and gzipped copy of an rsync'ed directory of /opt/zimbra) has been steadily growing. That 2.3GB of messages plus the Zimbra programs are now taking up 4.3 GB COMPRESSED size, which seems rather out of line to me.

I have checked the files that have bloated badly in the past, and neither is particularly monstrous. /opt/zimbra/log/zmmtaconfig.log is about 31 MB, and /opt/zimbra/db/data/ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1 are 104 MB each. Browsing around I simply can't find an excuse for a whole gig (or more, given compression of the backup) of excess bytage.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to see where the bloat might be happening?

Cheers,

Dan

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

What's the size of your /opt/zimbra directory, what's the size of your backup before you compress it and does it make any difference if you do just the cold backup part of that script?

I noticed that backup script doesn't have some of the rsync option that I'd rather keep on my backup of Zimbra, I'm not sure what the rsync defaults but I use the following options: avrlHKpogDt - it's the same options used in this script.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

You know, Bill, it's interesting what obvious things we overlook sometimes. . .if I do du -h on /opt/zimbra it's only 3.8 GB, but on /backup/zimbra it's 8.2 GB. Obviously, something is not working right on my rsync.

I based my rsync commands in the backup script on the command reference in the man page, which states that -a is equal to -rlptgoD; hence the fewer letters.

I took a closer look at the man pages and the command for delete should have just been "--delete" not "-e --delete". The result is my old junk wasn't deleting. I just tried the rsync at command line using
    Code:
    rsync -avHK --delete /opt/zimbra/ /backup/zimbra
    and my /backup/zimbra went right back down to the same size as /opt/zimbra after deleting a WHOLE lot of junk.

So the problem was in my rsync syntax--and the embarrassing thing is that it's already correct on the wiki page (I think it's my writing) and I had it wrong on my own server. . ..

Thanks

Dan

mmorse is offline Moderator

I pulled -e out a while ago Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - History - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse
    (-e would need to be "-e ssh" or "-e rsh" or an alternative is "--rsh=ssh" or path - but we don't need a remote shell anyways as src and dest are local - let them use their env settings plus ssh slower)
    So you tried -e --delete while it's usually expecting something like -e --rsh=ssh
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-27-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Thread Information