Thread: Installation review

npollock is offline New Member

Default Installation review

I am in the process of testing out Zimbra now and plan to start migrating users to it once I am comfortable with the stability. I currently use sendmail and have 3 Linux sendmail servers, each located at our largest facilities. I just want to run my planned config by everyone to ensure we set it up properly.

We have the following locations:
    Co-location facility - no employees, but it is where I plan to install 2 servers, 5MB connection to the Internet. All Zimbra clients will come through this connection if they are accessing from any Internet connection.
    Primary facility - about 100 employees, 25 will be on zcs connector with Outlook and 75 will run with Zimbra web client - T1 to the Internet
    Warehouse - 2 to 5 users using Zimbra web client - 144K DSL Internet connection
    Sales office - 2 users using Zimbra web client - 144K DSL Internet connection
    Warehouse, 30 users mostly using web client- 768K to the Internet
    Sales office - 3 users using Zimbra web client - 600K DSL connection
    Warehouse - 4 users using Zimbra web client - 144K DSL connection
    Warehouse - 40 users mostly using Zimbra web client - 768K Internet connection
    Warehouse - 20 users mostly using Zimbra web client - Cable Internet connection
    Sales office - 3 users using Zimbra client - cable Internet access

Also, 140 field sales reps with laptops will be accessing their mail from Outlook Express clients and a small amount of web client access. What are my options to connect these Outllok Express users? Can we use IMAP? Is our only option POP? I want to know the best way to handle these users because the web client is not a good only option. I also don't want to purchase Outlook Express for all of them.

Does the client access sound feasible? My main concerns are bandwidth usage and functionality for web client users and using Outlook Express for lower end laptop users. I know I lose some functionality with Outlook Express, but I need to use it for all laptop users that aren't Executives. Execs and Directors will get Outlook 2003.

In regards to the server, if I setup 2 servers, what are my options? Can they be load balanced? Should I setup one server at our primary facility and one at the co-lo? I would like to have some sort of server redundancy, but want to know how I should configure them.

Thanks

Norm

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default installation topology

Quote Originally Posted by npollock
    I am in the process of testing out Zimbra now and plan to start migrating users to it once I am comfortable with the stability. I currently use sendmail and have 3 Linux sendmail servers, each located at our largest facilities. I just want to run my planned config by everyone to ensure we set it up properly.

We have the following locations:
    Co-location facility - no employees, but it is where I plan to install 2 servers, 5MB connection to the Internet. All Zimbra clients will come through this connection if they are accessing from any Internet connection.
    Primary facility - about 100 employees, 25 will be on zcs connector with Outlook and 75 will run with Zimbra web client - T1 to the Internet
    Warehouse - 2 to 5 users using Zimbra web client - 144K DSL Internet connection
    Sales office - 2 users using Zimbra web client - 144K DSL Internet connection
    Warehouse, 30 users mostly using web client- 768K to the Internet
    Sales office - 3 users using Zimbra web client - 600K DSL connection
    Warehouse - 4 users using Zimbra web client - 144K DSL connection
    Warehouse - 40 users mostly using Zimbra web client - 768K Internet connection
    Warehouse - 20 users mostly using Zimbra web client - Cable Internet connection
    Sales office - 3 users using Zimbra client - cable Internet access

Also, 140 field sales reps with laptops will be accessing their mail from Outlook Express clients and a small amount of web client access. What are my options to connect these Outllok Express users? Can we use IMAP? Is our only option POP? I want to know the best way to handle these users because the web client is not a good only option. I also don't want to purchase Outlook Express for all of them.
    We support IMAP for just about every client, so your OE users aren't stuck with just POP.

Does the client access sound feasible? My main concerns are bandwidth usage and functionality for web client users and using Outlook Express for lower end laptop users. I know I lose some functionality with Outlook Express, but I need to use it for all laptop users that aren't Executives. Execs and Directors will get Outlook 2003.
    This should work. The bandwidth considerations are harder to address - it depends on the usage profile (how much traffic, how often synced, etc) but the only impact of that should be possibly slower access, not lost functionality, on some of the slower lines.
    In regards to the server, if I setup 2 servers, what are my options? Can they be load balanced? Should I setup one server at our primary facility and one at the co-lo? I would like to have some sort of server redundancy, but want to know how I should configure them.

Thanks

Norm
    In a multi-server setup, you'll have one ldap server with account info, and you can partition mailboxes across the mailstore servers.

So, with 2 servers, you'll have one ldap + mailstore, with some set of users on it, and the other will be just a mailstore, with the rest of the users on it.

If you're confident of your bandwidth, you can put both servers at the colo - if you're concerned about responsiveness, you can put one at your main site for the local users, and put the other at the colo for your remote/mobile users.

Also, we support ldap replication, so you can set up the secondary server as an ldap replica of the main server, and reduce the amount of traffic (and improve response time) between sites.

Thread Information