Thread: [SOLVED] Incrementals

jeremymaritz is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] Incrementals

Good evening everyone,

I just migrated my mailboxes from one 4.5.6 machine to another 4.5.6 machine using these instructions:

Network Edition Disaster Recovery - Zimbra :: Wiki

Once finished, I wasn't able to do full backups from the Command line, receiving a bad password error in my log:

WARN [http-7071-Processor49] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra; error=authentication failed for zimbra;

So, I used these instructions to reset my LDAP passwords as referenced by countless other users with these same issues:

Resetting LDAP & MySQL Passwords - Zimbra :: Wiki

Now I can do fulls from the command line, but if I try to do an incremental, I get this error:

[zimbra@messaging redolog]$ zmbackup -a all -i
    Error occurred: system failure: Cannot do incremental backup: redo logging is disabled

/opt/zimbra/redolog is completely empty. Anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find any references to this in the forums or the Admin guide.

If jumping to 4.5.10 is the answer, don't be shy....but at least tell me why.

Thanks, all!

mmorse is offline Moderator

Hey Jeremy,

What's your output of:
    zmprov gacf | grep Redo

BTW, another method of switching servers is to use the contents of /opt/zimbra (and any linked folders) instead of a backup, there's an admin powertip on it here: /blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Hey Jeremy,

What's your output of:
    zmprov gacf | grep Redo

Thanks for replying so quick...

Output:

zimbraRedoLogArchiveDir: redolog/archive
    zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover: FALSE
    zimbraRedoLogEnabled: FALSE
    zimbraRedoLogFsyncIntervalMS: 10
    zimbraRedoLogLogPath: redolog/redo.log
    zimbraRedoLogRolloverFileSizeKB: 102400

For starters:
    zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogEnabled TRUE
    zmcontrol stop
    zmcontrol start

Random side thoughts:
    If you got the time/no new mail delivery so far/your users haven't accessed it yet/etc, you might do this again or try with the other method, because I wonder what else in LDAP didn't copy right... It certainly works, I use backups to restore all the time, just don't know why this value changed.

Other NE features working properly?

Even on FOSS redologs are enabled (though not archived or rolled into backups) so I'm still kinda wondering how that got got disabled.

Leave zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover set to FALSE, as the incremental backups will take care of cleaning up the /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive directory.

I did just double check to make sure the wiki matched the official NE admin pdf/html guides at /docs/ne/latest/administration_guide/10_Backup_Restore.13.1.html#1079525 and find no real differences.
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-17-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: zmcontrol stop/start

refresh (forgot to tell you to stop/start tomcat at the least) ^

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    For starters:
    zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogEnabled TRUE
    zmcontrol stop
    zmcontrol start

Random side thoughts:
    If you got the time/no new mail delivery so far/your users haven't accessed it yet/etc, you might do this again or try with the other method, because I wonder what else in LDAP didn't copy right... It certainly works, I use backups to restore all the time, just don't know why this value changed.

Other NE features working properly?

Even on FOSS redologs are enabled (though not archived or rolled into backups) so I'm still kinda wondering how that got got disabled.

Leave zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover set to FALSE, as the incremental backups will take care of cleaning up the /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive directory.

I did just double check to make sure the wiki matched the official NE admin pdf/html guides at /docs/ne/latest/administration_guide/10_Backup_Restore.13.1.html#1079525 and find no real differences.
    Yeah, I noticed that ZimbraRedoLogEnabled on the zmprov...didn't know how to go about changing it (i'm a cross-platform administrator, so I'm not as Linux-centric as I should be sometimes).

Everything else seems to be working fine so far.

I'll give the above a shot later on when usage dies down a little and let u know.

The zmprov worked perfectly. My default backup schedule can now run! Thank you!

Cool, after some through testing of all the features you can think of, it is time to get on 4.5.10
    In addition to a full zmbackup, if you got the room run a quick
    Code:
    rsync -avHK --delete /opt/zimbra/ /backup456/zimbra
    or wherever you want to store it etc

Thread Information