Thread: Canonical Addresses not displayed properly

king0770 is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Canonical Addresses not displayed properly

Gentle Souls,

I am trying to figure out for a client why canonical addresses are not displaying correctly after messages are delivered (internally or externally). The problem is that the "FROM" address shows up as jsmith02@store.domain.com, and not John.Smith@domain.com using ZCO. However, using ZWC the "FROM" address does display John.Smith@domain.com; I believe its working from ZWC is because the zimbraPrefFromAddress attribute is set.

As far as I can tell with ZCO, messages are being sent via tomcat to Postfix, and I can see in the log canonical rewrites are taking place, which is good.

<Snip>

Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: input attribute value: local
    Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: rewrite socket: wanted attribute: addressDec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: input attribute name: address
    Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: input attribute value: John.Smith@domain.com
    Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: rewrite socket: wanted attribute: (list terminator)Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: input attribute name: (end)
    Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: `local' `John.Smith@domain.com' -> `John.Smith@domain.com'
    Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: send attr flags = 0
    Dec 14 16:35:45 store postfix/trivial-rewrite[5994]: send attr address = John.Smith@domain.com

</Snip>

As I learned about the client's environment, his company uses a Exim relayhost. It was suggested that the relayhost isn't doing any ldap lookups which could explain the rewrites not happening. I would accept this answer however, I haven't not been able to reproduce, I was able to send messages with a canonical address everytime. I am sending messages through my ISP, which isn't configured for my enviroment, however, the FROM address still displays correctly with my testing.

**Noted Attributes**

zimbraMailAlias: john.smith@domain.com
    zimbraMailAlias: jsmith02@store.domain.com
    zimbraMailCanonicalAddress: John.Smith@domain.com
    zimbraMailDeliveryAddress: jsmith02@store.domain.com
    zimbraMailHost: store.domain.com
    zimbraPrefFromAddress: John.Smith@domain.com

It seems to me if the canonical address works in ZWC, it should work for ZCO. Agree?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Hey Rick,
    First thing's first. Upgrae. This is obviously an older version of Zimbra. Then, lets try again.

Hey John,

Thank you for your reply. The ZCS version they are using is 4.5.10.

Default I believe this is solved

After some investigation, I believe this issue is solved.

It turned out the zimbraSmtpHostname attribute was pointing to a relayhost, instead of localhost or zmhostname. It appears by pointing zimbraSmtpHostname to a different machine, postfix didn't have a chance to lookup the canonical address; at least this is what I observed using ZCO.

Looking at the zco debug logs, I noticed the zimbraMailCanonicalAddress wasn't being referenced, but zimbraPrefFromAddress was...weird.

When I had set the zimbraSmtpHostname to zmhostname, canonical addresses were displaying correctly.

Thread Information