Thread: reject_unlisted_recipient does'nt work for aliased domains

fchassaing is offline Intermediate Member

Default reject_unlisted_recipient does'nt work for aliased domains

My server is receiving over 100.000 messages per day, 99% of it being spam and 98% of it being sent to invalid addresses (correct domain, but wrong username).
    Important note : I have only 1 domain fully configured "mydomain.com" and I've added several domain aliases via the zmprov command ('zmprov cd mydomain.net zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @mydomain.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @mydomain.com')

I've followed recipies in wiki and forum threads, so I end with having set 'smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient' to 'yes' in zmmta.cf
    Now when I send to unknownuser@mydomain.com I do have a "550 <unknownuser@mydomain.com>: Recipient address rejected: mydomain.com"
    but if I send to unknownuser@mydomain.net, I have a "250 Ok"
    so it's not good...

It probably has to do with the way the alias has been created..
    Is there any workaround to reject unlisted recipients in all aliases domains ?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

There's an RFC about this somewhere. The server has to accept mail during this stage. It's against the RFC (I can't find it now) to reject at this point.

roger about that.
    Let me explain my current setup and see if someone can find a workaround for this.
    I have 3 MX's
    * zimbra is third in the order of priority and has iptables that deny port 25 from the outside world but permit on local network
    * second one in order of priority is a postfix with a transport and a relay_recipients hash files configured to forward valid addresses to zimbra (ie. : user1@mydomain.net user1@mydomain.com).
    * first one is the old mx i'm moving from and also denys port 25 from the outside world
    if I open port 25 unrestricted on zimbra, server goes nuts with load average climbing like crazy, because (for most part) amavis and spamassassin scan all incoming messages. In a matter of minutes the active queue fills with 20000 messages, and if I let go, zimbra ends up denying smtp, and slowing dramaticaly delivery of mail (both incoming and outgoing) with several tens of thousands mail in the queues...
    So for the moment I cannot put the postfix "relay" has a backup like I wanted to do, because zimbra won't discard invalid e-mails at smtp dialog (for aliased domains).
    So I wonder if there is any other setup in zimbra's postfix that would make it discard them (I don't know, an artificial route to itself with an address rewriting or such)

Default FIXED (but not solved...)

just to catch up... issue as been fixed by deleting the "aliased" domain and creating a "real" one, and then batch-add aliases on all accounts for the previously aliased domain (mydomain.net).

Thread Information