Thread: MTA subsystem giving me trouble

frosty is offline New Member

Default MTA subsystem giving me trouble

Hi Guys!

Ever since the time I first saw Zimbra I got hooked and I finally got a chance to install it at a client site. I installed Beta2 on FC3 under XEN and after I figured out that you had to have a DNS server the server finally installed and is half-way working.

All my problems are related to the MTA subsystem. The status shows mta and antivirus/antispam not running. MTA is in fact running though and seems to be working fine, except sometimes when messages (usually from the local domain to the local domain) seem to get stuck in the queue: Jan 11 09:57:08 ggimail postfix/lmtp[32146]: 43EFE512C2: to=<xxxx@gammagroup.info>, relay=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1], delay=1580, status=deferred (co
    nversation with localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] timed out while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once)

Even though I turned off antivirus/antispam in the administration console, I get this message when starting:

[zimbra@ggimail ~]$ zmmtactl start
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_sasl_auth_enable='yes'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_tls_auth_only='yes'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e disable_dns_lookups='no'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e message_size_limit='10240000'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e relayhost=''
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_recipient_restrictions='reject_non_fqdn_reci pient, permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_invalid_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unauth_destination, permit'
    Problem in Amavis:B or Amavis:B::SNMP code: BerkeleyDB object version 0.26 does not match bootstrap parameter 0.27 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XSLoader.pm line 92.
    Compilation failed in require at (eval 35) line 12.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 35) line 12.
    Undefined subroutine &BerkeleyDB::Term::close_everything called at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i386-linux-thread-multi/BerkeleyDB.pm line 1675.
    END failed--call queue aborted.
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.3/conf/main.cf
    postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
    How can I fix this, so that the status is correctly displayed? What could be the problem with local mail not being delivered correctly? This seems to result in dupes being delivered to the users.

Will upgrading to B3 solve all my problems? If so, is upgrading risky as in losing mail or other data or are you actually backward-compatible there? What type of backup would you recommend before upgrading so that I can get up and running again quickly?

I hope someone can help me on my way to get to know Zimbra better.

Thanks for the great product,

frosty

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Well I've not heard too many success stories with XEN from what we can tell it's not 100% identical to just a normal install. Hence the libaray verison mismatch that reported in your error below. So I'd strongly encourage that you do a standard install of FC3/FC4 and use M3. It's my assumption that you don't have any live mail or accounts since it appears your system was never fully running.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

frosty is offline New Member

Actually the system runs well and is being used. People like very much it except for the lack of being able to share mail and contact folders and occasional dupe mails and these timed out mails.

I just bypassed amavisd completely and therefore mail delivery works fine most of the time, just without spell-checking and spam-detection. So could I just export the data from M2 and re-import it on a M3 install?

Concerning XEN, I think it should basically be the same system. I would think that the problem would have existed on the original FC system, too (I first installed FC to the bare hardware, then bootet that FC using XEN). Maybe you could just give me a hint how you'd solve a similar library depency problem on a regular FC install?

Anyway, because of lack of hardware I will give M3 a shot in another copy of this FC3 system under XEN. If that also fails terribly we'll have to get another box.

thanks!

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default library dependencies

Quote Originally Posted by frosty
    I just bypassed amavisd completely and therefore mail delivery works fine most of the time, just without spell-checking and spam-detection. So could I just export the data from M2 and re-import it on a M3 install?
    You're better off upgrading to M3, since that will massage the ldap db with some new data.
    Concerning XEN, I think it should basically be the same system. I would think that the problem would have existed on the original FC system, too (I first installed FC to the bare hardware, then bootet that FC using XEN). Maybe you could just give me a hint how you'd solve a similar library depency problem on a regular FC install?
    yum provides <libname>
    yum install <pkg>

Thread Information