Thread: multiple zmlogger instances running

altimage is offline Active Member

Default multiple zmlogger instances running

I'm running 4.5.9 of the Network Edition. I've been having a lot of trouble with slow performance...lots of "cancel request" dialogs in the web interface, client timeouts, etc. The server had dual quad core processors, 4 gb ram, a 1terabyte of raid 5 drives. Last week I opened a trouble ticket and one of the Zimbra techs helped me with the issue...it didn't 100% resolve it, but it seemed much more stable. The problem was that there were multiple zmlogger instances running. Performance got a bit better after the extras were stopped.

Today I was getting timeouts again. And there seems to be 4 zmlogger instances running. 2 questions:

1) Why do they keep coming back, and how to I prevent it from happening without just checking the server processes all the time.

2) how do I know which one of the 4 to kill? Also, can I just kill the process or is there a more graceful way to do it?

[root@localhost ~]# ps afx|grep zmlogger
    18930 pts/0 S+ 0:00 \_ grep zmlogger
    10120 ? S 10:43 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger
    7897 ? S 5:17 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger
    12338 ? S 0:20 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger
    4531 ? S 0:01 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger

thanks,
    altimage

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by altimage View Post
    I'm running 4.5.9 of the Network Edition. I've been having a lot of trouble with slow performance...lots of "cancel request" dialogs in the web interface, client timeouts, etc. The server had dual quad core processors, 4 gb ram, a 1terabyte of raid 5 drives. Last week I opened a trouble ticket and one of the Zimbra techs helped me with the issue...it didn't 100% resolve it, but it seemed much more stable. The problem was that there were multiple zmlogger instances running. Performance got a bit better after the extras were stopped.

Today I was getting timeouts again. And there seems to be 4 zmlogger instances running. 2 questions:

1) Why do they keep coming back, and how to I prevent it from happening without just checking the server processes all the time.
    Don't know without knowing the details of your support case. I'd suggest you re-open that case and follow-up with the fact it's happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by altimage View Post
    2) how do I know which one of the 4 to kill? Also, can I just kill the process or is there a more graceful way to do it?

[root@localhost ~]# ps afx|grep zmlogger
    18930 pts/0 S+ 0:00 \_ grep zmlogger
    10120 ? S 10:43 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger
    7897 ? S 5:17 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger
    12338 ? S 0:20 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger
    4531 ? S 0:01 \_ /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger

thanks,
    altimage
    The quick answer is to stop the logger and kill what's left or shutdown Zimbra and kill anything that's left.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Which operating system is installed? Has this problem just started happening and have you done any system updates to the o/s?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Which operating system is installed? Has this problem just started happening and have you done any system updates to the o/s?

It's running RHEL5. It's a new server, probably 2-3 months in production so there haven't been too many OS updates...maybe some basic things through YUM but nothing kernel realted to too big.

We've got about 1200 mailboxes on the server so we've always struggled with performance...that's why we moved to a bigger server a few months ago. This is the first I've been aware of multiple zmlogger instances though.

altimage

How much RAM does this server have and you haven't done the update to RHEL5.1 then?

In any case, I'd suggest your best course of action is to reopen your original support case on this problem - that will get you the quickest help.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    How much RAM does this server have and you haven't done the update to RHEL5.1 then?

In any case, I'd suggest your best course of action is to reopen your original support case on this problem - that will get you the quickest help.

It's got 4GB or RAM. No we haven't upgraded to RHEL 5.1. I replied to my closed support ticket...I'm not sure if that will "Reopen" it...I didn't see a "Reopen" button...I guess I could just start a new one. Anyway my case number is 00017442.

thanks,
    altimage

Thread Information