Thread: [HELP] Multiple domains, in one "account" for one admin to manage.

devnull is offline Member

Default [Solved] Multiple domains, in one "account" for one admin to manage.

Hello,

We're in the process of installing network edition, to replace Exchange, and emails on our hosting platform. CPanel was our previous platform, and Exchange was available also for our customers.

We are trying to push Zimbra as a replacement for both, to minimise costs, and support time, CPanel having lots of features that the customer can set up himself, Exchange having close to none, but having other features needed by users with more advanced needs.

Now, we have customers that are one company, but with multiple domain names. CPanel had an easy time with this, just add an addon domain, and then the domain is available in a drop down list. It shares the number of accounts set up and counts the quota for the account, not the domain.

Exchange can also do this, though, with more setup.

With Zimbra, as of now, I'm at a loss and can't seem to find documentation on how to do this, let's see this setup:

Comany is named Domain inc, and their domain is domain1.com. They also use domain2.com and domain3.com as valid email addresses. I want to set them up so they use 30 accounts, regardless of which email domain they select, either domain1, 2, 3, or even use 1 domain, and have aliases in 1 or more of the others.

Is this possible with Zimbra? I'm still reading the docs, but not finding info on the forums or in the docs so far, maybe I can't search properly ~_~.

Thanks for your help!

-Devnull

--edit : Tagged as solved since it can't be done in the actual product, as I intended, but feature requests are in for it.
    Last edited by devnull; 11-28-2007 at 09:43 AM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Be sure to vote for Bug 5254 - Domain Admin can own multiple domains and/or Bug 6965 - Domain groups
    (sight offshoot is Bug 5253 - Domain Admin should be able create sub-domains of the domain of which he is owner)
    Some HSP's make their own portals or modify Admin UI Framework Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki - though I assume it's far beyond what you plan to do
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-28-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Okay, so this is a feature request, meaning I cannot do yet what I need to do now.

How would one go about creating a user account that sends email from domain1.com but needs to receive emails from domain2.com also? The user will use the outlook connector, and I do not wish to have 2 mailboxes, ideally. Would this be possible with the outlook connector anyways?

Thanks again,

see the alias tab
    (admin console > individual user > aliases)

Sorry, wasn't thinking globally enough ;-)

So, until the feature request gets enough votes, and gets incorporated, we will need to create different domains, split the users they have under contract under those 3 domains, and create the aliases ourselves as a global admin, since we see all domain.

That can work for a bit, though I really wish the second feature (group of domains, one admin sees all the domains in group) gets approved. If we're NE subscribers, we get a vote in, that will speed things up. Will see about doing that, it's a situation I forgot to analyze when testing zimbra as a replacement.

Thanks for the info!

Devnull

To save you some time: ManagingDomains - Zimbra :: Wiki
    -Though they won't get the drop down choices to send as that address; like they would if you added an individual alias through the admin console or scripted through zmprov.

Thread Information