Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing 5.0RC2 - How To Enable Instant Messaging?

soxfan is offline Moderator

I've been anxious to get a look at the IM client as well, but haven't had much luck. I've been thinking about posting, but have seem comments like "not ready yet", "still beta", etc., so I've been holding off, but figured now is as good as any time to jump in.

First off, I've been running 5.0, OSS only, since the first beta release, and I'm currently running RC2. Like Chewie71, I can't add anyone to my buddy list, and don't have the option to communicate with AOL, Yahoo!, etc. I can get to the point where I can add a new buddy, but when I click OK it doesn't get added to the Buddy List. Also in the Create New Buddy window my only option for IM Service is xmpp.

The IM does work in RC2, I use it.
    Phoenix, can you clarify this, or I guess provide more info. Currently with RC2 I have one test user logged in to Zimbra 5.0 RC2 on my PC and another logged in on my laptop. On either system I go to the IM tab and click New. It does bring up a new "conversation" window. However, when I type some text and hit enter nothing ever shows up on the recipient's end. I'm guessing I probably have something setup incorrectly, or not setup at all. However, as far as I can tell there is zero documentation on the IM client at this point, so I have no idea what I'm missing.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should see the MSN & AOL icons in the bottom right of the IM screen, are they there? If not then I guess you're effectively dead, I don't think you can add buddies unless there's a service available but I'm not exactly sure about that.

I'm not a great fan of IM but to clarify, I have used it by clicking on the MSN icon then entering my login details and connecting with the MSN server and seeing my buddy list. Once I've done that I can chat to any of my 'buddies'.

I have noticed recently that sometimes the IM tab opens but the left-hand list of mail folders stays there, I can append ?app=IM to the url and open a new tab in FF that shows the correct screen. That's really about it, I've used it a few time but not a great deal.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Chewie71 is offline Trained Alumni

A clean install of RC2 NE worked for me. I can add and chat with buddies now and the MSN and AOL connections can be made(though I think I'm getting stopped by our firewall currently).

EDIT: SO in case anyone missed this....you apparently cannot upgrade from the OSS betas to the RC2 beta and have chat work correctly. Install a fresh copy of RC2, don't upgrade.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by Chewie71; 11-27-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Anyone know off the top of their head what ports need to be opened for MSN and AOL?

Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie71 View Post
    Anyone know off the top of their head what ports need to be opened for MSN and AOL?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Try 5190 for AOL & 1863 for MSN, details I'm using are on this page. Glad you've got it working.
    Regards

Bill

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie71 View Post
    Hi all-
    Given that the bug to make the IM interop is still open, I went ahead and closed it as a dupe of that one, and added Chewie's comments to the other bug.

This makes sure that the people who build the IM app see his comment.

You should see the MSN & AOL icons in the bottom right of the IM screen, are they there? If not then I guess you're effectively dead, I don't think you can add buddies unless there's a service available but I'm not exactly sure about that.
    Nope, no MSN & AOL icons. (I did see those on the demo page, and wondered why I didn't have them.) Also, I did see a menu selection that says "Log in to External Service", and when I select this option I get a pop-up window. However, the drop-down box for "IM Service" doesn't have anything to select. Maybe I'll try a fresh install and see what that does. Are there any prerequisites or dependencies for IM that may not show up during the install yet.

Also, just one more point of clarification. I was under the impression that at some point we would be able to use the Zimbra IM component without relying on any external IM servers like MSN or AOL. Am I totally off base here, or is this coming somewhere down the line?

Just as a follow-up, I did a fresh install of 5.0 RC2, and things look a lot better. I've got the MSN and AOL icons and I can add people to my Buddy List. Also, to answer my own question I was able to have an IM session between two users without having to use an external service like MSN or AOL; it just worked.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Nope, no MSN & AOL icons. (I did see those on the demo page, and wondered why I didn't have them.) Also, I did see a menu selection that says "Log in to External Service", and when I select this option I get a pop-up window. However, the drop-down box for "IM Service" doesn't have anything to select. Maybe I'll try a fresh install and see what that does. Are there any prerequisites or dependencies for IM that may not show up during the install yet.
    No, there's no additional pre-requisites other than fo rthe install itself.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Also, just one more point of clarification. I was under the impression that at some point we would be able to use the Zimbra IM component without relying on any external IM servers like MSN or AOL. Am I totally off base here, or is this coming somewhere down the line?
    Yes, there will be an internal component for IM without need for the external services but I think that may be for a later release.
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-27-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information