Thread: Using different emails to send mail?

gmbyron is offline Intermediate Member

Default Using different emails to send mail?

Okay, so ZCS has support to poll external POP accounts.

Say I have ZCS on mail.foo.com. I have also three accounts on gmail.com, a@gmail.com, b@gmail.com and c@gmail.com. I have ZCS email acc bar@foo.com

I check my external pop accs every 5 minutes. I get an email in a@gmail.com. I reply, and.. by default it will of course send using ZCS MTA and will have From: bar@foo.com.

Can I set up external SMTP servers just like POP so I can use them as well. (ie. Groupwise let's you do that). I'm migrating from Groupwise so I have to have that.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can change the address the email comes from, have a look in the user preferences under Identities or Accounts (depending on your version of Zimbra), you may also need to set the option (in the admin ui) to allow users to send from any email address.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Well that may put some of the email into spam folder (different domains, ie smtp relay domain a.com, mail from b@foo.com - SPAM). I'm seeking specifically support for different SMTP accounts like Gmail

PS. I have ZCS5 RC2

Quote Originally Posted by gmbyron View Post
    Well that may put some of the email into spam folder (different domains, ie smtp relay domain a.com, mail from b@foo.com - SPAM).
    It wouldn't be very responsible of us to turn our customers into spammers, would it? Try the feature, you may be surprised.

I'm seeking specifically support for different SMTP accounts like Gmail
    The answer to that is no, we don't support multiple smart hosts. We only have the facility to relay through one smart host.
    Regards

Bill

Okay, thank you. Just curious, will it ever be implemented?

Okay, thank you. Just curious, will it ever be implemented?
    I doubt it as it's not normally a requirement for a mail server to do that, just the one relay host is the norm.
    Regards

Bill

onojdnob is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I doubt it as it's not normally a requirement for a mail server to do that, just the one relay host is the norm.
    Whilst I understand that one relay is the norm, I think that multiples (selectable) could be a very useful feature, considering Zimbra supports adding additional pop & imap accounts.

gmbyron is right - there is the possibility that emails sent via a domain which is not part of the same domain as the email address might cause the emails to be flagged as potential spam.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by onojdnob View Post
    gmbyron is right - there is the possibility that emails sent via a domain which is not part of the same domain as the email address might cause the emails to be flagged as potential spam.
    No "might" about it. If your account is any of the various Yahoo! mail accounts, including sbcglobal that I use at home, it WILL land in the "junk" folder of that account. At least it did when I tried it a couple months ago. Having the "From:" domain differ from the domain of the SMTP server is one of the very common indicators of spam. Without specifying alternate SMTP servers you're stuck on that issue.

Of course, even if alternate SMTP settings are added on the client, it won't be enough unless the client implements POP-before-SMTP as a security protocol. Many of these same servers use a valid POP check as the only authentication for SMTP relay.

Dan
    Last edited by dwmtractor; 03-14-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: very bad grammar on my part

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

With hosted domains, the smtp server responds to the helo command using the FQDN of the primary domain. Thus the sender's e-mail address domain is different than the smtp server's domain. This isn't considered spam. Also if your ISP forces you to send through their smtp server, you can put a different e-mail address (domain portion) than your address from your ISP and this won't be handled as spam either. If their is a valid MX record for the domain in the e-mail address, even if that is not where it originated, and the sending server has the proper A record and reverse DNS, most mail servers I know of will accept the mail.

Thread Information