Thread: Calling it a day on Zimbra - but need help still

amfony is offline Starter Member

Default Calling it a day on Zimbra - but need help still

Hi everyone -

I have had two catastrophic events (zimbra degredation and then eventual failure) with zimbra and am now looking to take my ball and go home.

Now i am a newbish to *nix - and thats what i chalked it up to (my problems) so do not fret Zimbra workers and community - i fully support and am thankful for zimbra prescence in the OSS community, it is a hell of a product when it is working.

Just to touch on the reasons why i am moving on (back to M$) is due two major points. The speed of which zimbra preformed on the client, and slow degredation that was so painfully obvious. Day to day response time increased client interface, and when i restarted the server ... well thats why i am writing this post! haha

Again do not take this as hostile - i obviously wasnt able to properly adminster the server(s) in the proper manner ... ahem :S

Back to my last call for help:

I have a fairly dead hdd (after restarting my server) with my zimbra and emails and such on it. I have accessed the HDD via a ubuntu live cd and am trying to copy the /opt/zimbra folder away in an attempt to restore the raw emails if possible.

Is this actually possible? Can i retirieve the raw emails (*.msg or whatever the type is) without having to build another Zimbra server? I am happy to discard the calendar and contacts if i can retrieve the emails.

If anyone can help that would be fantastic.

Thanks alot in advance.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by amfony View Post
    Hi everyone -

I have had two catastrophic events (zimbra degredation and then eventual failure) with zimbra and am now looking to take my ball and go home.

Now i am a newbish to *nix - and thats what i chalked it up to (my problems) so do not fret Zimbra workers and community - i fully support and am thankful for zimbra prescence in the OSS community, it is a hell of a product when it is working.

Just to touch on the reasons why i am moving on (back to M$) is due two major points. The speed of which zimbra preformed on the client, and slow degredation that was so painfully obvious. Day to day response time increased client interface, and when i restarted the server ... well thats why i am writing this post! haha

Again do not take this as hostile - i obviously wasnt able to properly adminster the server(s) in the proper manner ... ahem :S

Back to my last call for help:

I have a fairly dead hdd (after restarting my server) with my zimbra and emails and such on it. I have accessed the HDD via a ubuntu live cd and am trying to copy the /opt/zimbra folder away in an attempt to restore the raw emails if possible.

Is this actually possible? Can i retirieve the raw emails (*.msg or whatever the type is) without having to build another Zimbra server? I am happy to discard the calendar and contacts if i can retrieve the emails.

If anyone can help that would be fantastic.

Thanks alot in advance.
    You can restore them, but only to a new Zimbra installation--basically you create an installation just like what you had before, then copy your entire /opt/zimbra over the one that was created by the install and all your emails are back. In the non-network version, unfortunately, there is no piecemeal restore.

I am concerned by your report of a slowly degrading system, however. This is not normal in Linux or Zimbra. My first question would be what kind of hardware you were running on, and whether it was sufficient--particularly in the RAM department--to handle the load. Generally Linux products require LESS resources than the equivalent Micro$oft one, although you definitely need sufficient RAM.

I'm wondering about your hard drive description as well; is there any chance the hard drive itself is flaking out on you?

I guess I'm trying to encourage you to give Zimbra another chance; although open-source software can be a bit daunting when you first plunge in, I started as a newbie and with these forums to help I managed to make a go of it. Perhaps we can help you to succeed too??

Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information