Thread: DNS Server on same system as Zimbra?

carnold is offline Advanced Member

Default DNS Server on same system as Zimbra?

We use zimbra oss rc1 on sles10 sp1 and we need to configured this system to be a backup DNS server. We appear to have problems starting bind on this system and after a search through the forums, it looks like it has something to do with zimbra? Please tell me we can run a DNS server on the same system as zimbra?

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by carnold View Post
    We use zimbra oss rc1 on sles10 sp1 and we need to configured this system to be a backup DNS server. We appear to have problems starting bind on this system and after a search through the forums, it looks like it has something to do with zimbra? Please tell me we can run a DNS server on the same system as zimbra?
    Not only can you, it's a good idea. I have bind9 running on my Zimbra box and that's the way I set it up out of the box. Zimbra must have access to DNS; it doesn't require that it be on the same box or a different one--both can work very well.

carnold is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    Not only can you, it's a good idea. I have bind9 running on my Zimbra box and that's the way I set it up out of the box. Zimbra must have access to DNS; it doesn't require that it be on the same box or a different one--both can work very well.
    Yea, we have zimbra setup to access our primary DNS and it works fine but this crappy windoze DNS goes down at least once a day and you must restart the DNS service. So, i have suggested setting up a slave DNS on 1 of our SLES10 SP1 servers (the other SLES10 box is our web server and we don't want that to serve DNS also). The problem we are having is named will not start and it reports this error:
    named: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.3.so.0:

The only thing on this server that uses (or requires) ldap libraries is zimbra. I am going to stop zimbra and try to start named to see if in fact it is zimbra that named does not like.

I am going to stop zimbra and try to start named to see if in fact it is zimbra that named does not like.
    I will be interested to hear how this goes. I would not by any stretch claim to be a bind or named expert, but I can tell you that while I was experimenting with a new Zimbra install and installed bind9 AFTER Zimbra I had a royal headache getting it to work. I finally re-installed Linux (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS in my case), installed and configured bind9, and only installed Zimbra once I had everything resolving properly.

mdeneen is offline Active Member

I run both a DNS cache and an authoritative DNS server on our zimbra server without issue. I use dnscache and tinydns. I had to add the ip of the server to the hosts file, since zimbra started before dnscache did.

I can't say that I have much experience with BIND because tinydns has worked for me without any issue. If you just need a DNS cache, the djb dnscache is simple to set up and is absolutely rock solid. If you need authoritative DNS as a slave to BIND, it's a bit more work. From what I can gather from your message, you are just looking to resolve names. (missed the part about SLAVE... do you really need to provide authoritative names for your domain from here?)

Good luck!
    Last edited by mdeneen; 11-13-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdeneen View Post
    If you need authoritative DNS as a slave to BIND, it's a bit more work. From what I can gather from your message, you are just looking to resolve names. (missed the part about SLAVE... do you really need to provide authoritative names for your domain from here?)

Good luck!
    Well, SOMETHING needs to be authoritative for the ip of your Zimbra box, including the mx records. If you have that somewhere else, the only reason this information would need to be on the Zimbra box too would be if you are doing split DNS, due to such things as having the Zimbra server on a DMZ so it's actual IP address is different from the one the public sees. In other words, Zimbra needs to be pointed to a DNS that resolves the entire kit and kaboodle, including nslookup and mxlookup, to the local IP address.

If you have a DNS on another box that provides all this information, then a caching DNS (or no DNS) on the Zimbra box itself would work fine; if not, then an authoritative server on the box is the way you should go.

Dan

mdeneen is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    Well, SOMETHING needs to be authoritative for the ip of your Zimbra box, including the mx records. If you have that somewhere else, the only reason this information would need to be on the Zimbra box too would be if you are doing split DNS, due to such things as having the Zimbra server on a DMZ so it's actual IP address is different from the one the public sees. In other words, Zimbra needs to be pointed to a DNS that resolves the entire kit and kaboodle, including nslookup and mxlookup, to the local IP address.

If you have a DNS on another box that provides all this information, then a caching DNS (or no DNS) on the Zimbra box itself would work fine; if not, then an authoritative server on the box is the way you should go.

Dan
    I'm sorry.. I was just suggesting that if he only needs a cache, you don't have to go through all of the trouble of setting up BIND. If it does not need to be authoritative and is only used because the primary DNS is flaky, dnscache is a perfect fit. I am not sure how recent microsoft DNS services work, but in NT (I know, it's ancient) the authoritative server and the recursive resolver were all the same service. It's just an invitation for somebody to poison your authoritative records.

Mark

Thread Information