Thread: backups to tape

support.txdistlcms.org is offline Active Member

Default backups to tape

I was planning to copy the local backup session (e.g. backup/sessions/full-20071103.060003.910/ ) to tape for offsite storage with a simple tar script. We are running the network (paid) version if that matters. A few questions.

How do I predict the file names? In the example above, I understand full-20071103. - but what is 060003.910???

Do I need anything other than the contents of that directory for a full restore in case of disaster? (e.g. Should I record the spam address name somewhere? The license key?)

What is the best way to modify the system to give me more frequent full backups? (We are small enough to do so.) I looked at /etc/crontab but did not see any entries there, and then worried if the system would want me editing it's crontab with vi directly....

mtlhead089 is offline Intermediate Member

Default Backups to Tape

I backup the entire directory '/opt/zimbra/backup'. I use the following tar commands;

Full backup done every Saturday morning:
    tar cvf /dev/nst0 /opt/zimbra/backup

Incremental done every weekday night:
    tar cvfG /dev/nst0 /opt/zimbra/backup

As you may notice the addition of the 'G' switch which tells tar to make an incremental tar. I do not include the 'z' switch to compress the backup. My particular Zimbra has approx 75 users which have a quota of 500M but nobody gets to within 70% of that mark. Zimbra only keeps one month's worth of backups and currently a full backup of the /opt/zimbra/backup directory is approx 11G.

The tape backup is not done until 'after' Zimbra has done it's backup.

Doing full backup everyday would be way too much overkill since Zimbra only does a full backup every week.

While logged into your server (btw - what os are you running) as root do the following command (w/o quote) 'man 5 crontab'. This will give you instructions on how to use crontab and to make your script(s) run thru cron.
    Last edited by mtlhead089; 11-09-2007 at 08:02 PM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by support.txdistlcms.org View Post
    Do I need anything other than the contents of that directory for a full restore in case of disaster? (e.g. Should I record the spam address name somewhere? The license key?)
    You might also want to keep the installer handy for your current version. The license file you can always get from the support portal as well.
    Read: /docs/ne/latest/administration_guide/10_Backup_Restore.13.1.html
    Quote Originally Posted by support.txdistlcms.org View Post
    What is the best way to modify the system to give me more frequent full backups? (We are small enough to do so.) I looked at /etc/crontab but did not see any entries there, and then worried if the system would want me editing it's crontab with vi directly....
    CLI zmschedulebackup Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki
    The default full backup is scheduled for 1:00 a.m., every Sunday. The default incremental backups are scheduled for 1:00 a.m., Monday through Saturday.
    By default, backups older then a month are deleted on the first of each month at 12 a.m.

support.txdistlcms.org is offline Active Member

Default possible bug?

Changing the backup dir from the Administration website changes the dir that the following items are backed up to:

acct_name_id.dat
    acct_session.dat
    sessions/*

However, ldap is still backed up to the default directory (i.e. /opt/zimbra/backup/ldap/* )

I would be happy to post this to the bug db (I looked for it), but want to double check since I'm new.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Thread Information