Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance Issues

dketchum is offline Intermediate Member

Mike,
    I'm a bit reluctant to take down the mail server, as our initial deploy here was problematic at best, and our users see that combined with continuing performance issues as a good reason to redeploy our Exchange server.

The suggestion seems to be a valid one, and I will see what I can do to schedule downtime to get it done. I will post on this thread in the coming weeks to let you know how it worked out.

-------
    Dan

mmorse is offline Moderator

Yup, hopefully upgrading some night at 2am & practically no one should notice

As far as I can tell, the problem with the debug is that you can't see the current 'connections not returned to the pool'. Just anything new that happens from the point of enabling debugging...if someone has a way around that particular caveat, by all means let me know!
    It also used to dump a looot of data to the logs, but the output has since been pruned a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dketchum View Post
    750 users
    Version 4.5.6_GA_1044.MACOSXx86 Jul 6, 2007
    OS X 10.4.10
    2 x 2 GHZ Dual Core Intel Xeon, 6 GB RAM
    So is that a 2 box setup OR 1 box dual cpu, dual core?
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-13-2007 at 08:23 PM.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Mike,
    I'm a bit reluctant to take down the mail server, as our initial deploy here was problematic at best, and our users see that combined with continuing performance issues as a good reason to redeploy our Exchange server.

The suggestion seems to be a valid one, and I will see what I can do to schedule downtime to get it done. I will post on this thread in the coming weeks to let you know how it worked out.

-------
    Dan
    Understandable, especially with production systems.
    However, upgrading to the latest version should be the first troubleshooting step. I know it's annoying, but there are many bug fixes between 4.5.6 and 4.5.9 (and soon 4.5.10).

If anything happens, let us know

jh

That would be one server, 2 dual core processors.

Meh. 2 AM? school district, 30 mile commute if something goes wrong... Maybe a weekend or an upcoming holiday weekend.

What is the timetable for the 4.5.10? I'd rather not do another upgrade in 10 days.

That What is the timetable for the 4.5.10? I'd rather not do another upgrade in 10 days.
    Sry, the date for that kinda got left out of PMWeb. My word is by no means official, but it was originally tentatively scheduled for this week (thursday 15th).
    If you had said 2 boxes I was gonna suggest playing with one or two things that are usually only changed on larger installs...
    Code:
    zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_mysql_connector_maxActive=12
    /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf which is computed from zmmycnf
    You can give it a wirl I guess, try 13 and see if you get a '13 of 13' error.
    That Meh. 2 AM? school district, 30 mile commute if something goes wrong... Maybe a weekend or an upcoming holiday weekend.
    I know the feeling...but there's been so many enhancements to tomcat/ldap/everything else in/since 4.5.7 that I know support will just have you get on 4.5.9 first anyway

Hopefully a one hour window of remote work will give you 30min to upgrade (used to larger multi-server installs - most of your time will be the hearty backup of /opt/zimbra) and 30min to falback if needed.

You can certainly open that support ticket for them to take a look at it 'as is'; but they could spend all day correcting 'connectivity issues' and things that have long since addressed by the engineers.
    -Just a free 2cents worth of advice to save you time and $ -as we all know that doesn't come easy in edu!
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-13-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: go up by 1 on the connections and see what happens

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Meh. 2 AM? school district, 30 mile commute if something goes wrong... Maybe a weekend or an upcoming holiday weekend.

What is the timetable for the 4.5.10? I'd rather not do another upgrade in 10 days.
    Heh-
    Not sure if you know, but I joined Zimbra from an educational instutition. I was an IT director for 6 years, so I feel you pain.

Allow me to share a story:
    For a while (about 6 months) I lived in Willcox, AZ. I worked in Tombstone, AZ. Wanna know the drive?
    Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

So every day, I drove there, and drove home. . And trust me, it was not a short drive.

I can only recall one time where something happened, and I had to drive (on a sunday) all the way back to Tombstone because I had mistakenly run a shutdown command on my server. Obviously school starts on Monday, so I just had to do it.

I mention this because I understand your situation, and appreciate it. However, the likely hood that the server would go down, and you would have to drive to sit in front of it, is remote. That's the whole point of SSH.

While I can't promise it will fix it, at least we will know what's not causing the issue

-john

I've done the best I can to review the known issues, and I've not seen any gotchas for any additional bug for Mac client/server related issues for this update so I'm scheduling Thursday afternoon.

Is there anything that may not have been in the release notes with current versions of Firefox for Mac, Entourage, or Outlook connector with Outlook 2003 running on XP? any potential show stoppers?

This is actually the 3rd box we've had it on since August, the other 2 Mac PPC xserves (current box is Xeon as stated previously) became completely unresponsive and would no longer boot, hence my reluctance to VPN or SSH.

Definitely understand your aversion to wanting a physical presence then!

Not that I can think of, you can run some searches in bugzilla and select Mac OS X - x86 as your OS Search for bugs : advanced

If you did change it, how did the zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_mysql_connector_maxActive=13 go?
    (It might take a stop/start to apply though, so it's probably a moot point if you're planning for thurs anyways.)

Sry if we seem repetitive It's just that we can easily have 200+ changes between versions, and often a good percentage of forum posts are about things already known, already being worked on, or otherwise resolved. But if you think about it, that just means it's getting enhanced that much faster!
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-14-2007 at 01:45 PM.

I just completed the update with one catch. When I go to the mail queues on the admin console, it fails and gives me:

Message: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: zmail.azpublicschool.k12.az.us->zimbra@zmail. azpublicschool.k12.az.us:22}
    Error code: service.FAILURE
    Method: ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke
    Details:soap:Receiver

... and all queue tabs say "(error)". I wasn't completely happy with how this admin area worked, but it did have some function and I would like it to work.

I will not know about connection issues until next week. I will post results here.

Do this: Common Errors : Mail Queue Monitoring - Zimbra :: Wiki
    And at the same time you're getting that graphical error check the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log for more detailed info if needed.
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-17-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information