Thread: Zimbra behind NAT together with Exchange

tgra is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra behind NAT together with Exchange

Dear Supporters,

I have a LAN with one WAN IP. Behind the NAT I have on Windows 2003 server with DNS and Exchange. This server handles one domain.

My question is:

Is it possible to setup DNS to handle mail to Zimbra for another domain? I have tried with seting up A-host and MX on the windows-server to point to the zimbra-server. But now luck here. Is it possible to handle this with DNS?

Thomas

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

A Split Domain will do what you want, details of the DNS set-up in Split DNS.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you for your feedback! I believe this split-DNS is for only internal e-mail and outgoing to WAN? My problem is incoming e-mail. Please advise if I am wrong.

Thomas

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can certainly handle multiple domains behind a NAT router (I have that on my own server), are you saying that you have multiple domains on the Exchange Server? If that's the case then you should be able to set-up multiple domains in the Split Domain scenario. Where, exactly is the second domain hosted at the moment or is it a new domain?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hosting several domains on one mail server is not any problem. My case is that I would like to host several domains on different servers on the same WAN IP behind NAT:

Exchange server(LAN IP: 192.168.1.2): hosting domain1 and domain2
    Zimbra Server (LAN IP: 192.168.1.13): hsoting domain3 (which is for now a test server).

I would like to convert all my domains into Zimbra, but I need to test out how this would work with all our existing software and hardware (phones etc).

Is this manageable trough DNS or do I have to setup postfix or Exchange to do the transfer for which domains that they do not host?

PS: All 3 domains are hosted at the same ISP configured with MX for my external IP.

Thank you for your feedback.

Thomas
    Last edited by tgra; 11-09-2007 at 01:53 PM.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tgra View Post
    Dear Supporters,

I have a LAN with one WAN IP. Behind the NAT I have on Windows 2003 server with DNS and Exchange. This server handles one domain.

My question is:

Is it possible to setup DNS to handle mail to Zimbra for another domain? I have tried with seting up A-host and MX on the windows-server to point to the zimbra-server. But now luck here. Is it possible to handle this with DNS?

Thomas
    If you have only one WAN IP, I don't think you can get two domains hosted on two different servers in the LAN. Traffic that goes to domain1.com is going to do an mxlookup, get your WAN IP, and fire traffic off to it. Stuff coming to domain2 is going to get the same WAN IP and send traffic to the same place. Since the "outside world" only knows one IP for both domains, something inside your LAN has to parse out that traffic to the two different domains. Zimbra could handle this if it was in charge of both domains, but I don't know how you could configure a router to split the traffic to two different boxes based only on domain name. You probably need another WAN ip (even if it's a secondary IP on the same ethernet port). Then your firewall/router could route traffic based upon destination IP.

Dan

I should clarify, if you set up the Zimbra box to get all the mail, but configure postfix to forward domain 1 and domain 2 to the Exchange box, that would work. Likewise if you configured the MTA on Exchange to forward domain 3 to Zimbra, that would work. But the MTA on one box is going to have to play traffic cop for all the email on both boxes, unless you were to set up a third MTA (postfix, sendmail, whatever) to route traffic to both boxes. . .but that gets even more complicated. . .

Thumbs up

Thank you very much! This answered my question 100%

I will search for more information how to configure this setup. I think it would be the best to try configure Exchange to pass domain3 e-mails to Zimbra since Exchange is the stable server at the moment. Zimbra is only running in a WMware machine.

Have a nice evening!

Thomas..

Quote Originally Posted by tgra View Post
    Thank you very much! This answered my question 100%

I will search for more information how to configure this setup. I think it would be the best to try configure Exchange to pass domain3 e-mails to Zimbra since Exchange is the stable server at the moment. Zimbra is only running in a WMware machine.

Have a nice evening!

Thomas..
    Thomas, glad we all could help. Post back and let us know how it went, will you? I'll mark the thread "solved," but if it turns out this was premature we can always keep the discussion going.

Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information