Thread: Forward mail to external mail server and from external mail server back to zimbra

Tmanagement is offline Member

Default Forward mail to external mail server and from external mail server back to zimbra

Hi all,

I would like to set up Zimbra at home to test drive. However, since it will only be used during the day I thought of shutting down the server every night. Because of this and other reasons I was wondering if I can use my existing mail server to forward incoming messages to Zimbra and that Zimbra can forward the messages to the existing server.

I am not an expert on this so I was wondering first of all is this possible and more generally how does it work in practice.
    Suppose that current email is @existing.com which is handled by the existing mail server. What is Zimbra using? I suppose you have to have a @test.com for Zimbra in order to work with it since it is all based on email, right? If so does this mean that you have to have 2 mail domains -one used for Zimbra plus the one used currently on the existing system-?

When I give person A a Zimbra account a@test.com and that person wants to sent an email using his existing email account a@existing.com that person should be able to sent out of Zimbra to his existing account where it is converted from a@test.com to a@existing.com before sending out.

Since Zimbra will be down overnight I want to let email for person A to be processed to a@existing.com where the server holds the email and once Zimbra is online forward the message to A's Zimbra account a@test.com

Hopefully this will work in some way or another.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Two of the wiki documentation sections may be helpful to you:

1) The Split Domain wiki discusses having some users on your old system and some on the new one

2) You may find some helpful stuff in the User Migration wiki since it talks about moving into Zimbra from a variety of other mail servers.

I'm not sure how well these two things would work if you are trying to forward mail from work to home and then back again. But why would you want your server at home on a slower pipe (just guessing here ), instead of setting up a VPN so you could have it in the corporate network, but play with it from home? Doing this would not only allow you not to have to shut it down at night, it would mean you could set it up with the IPs it will eventually have, and not need to change them later (which can be a royal pain!).

Zimbra is perfectly able to use multiple identities ("persona," I just found out, in the new 5.x series) so sending the message as the other domain shouldn't be a problem if you set up SMTP right, although it could get nasty if your Zimbra MTA is not one of the SMTP servers in your mail records for the public DNS (spam filters really don't like to see stuff claiming to come from one domain when their lookup shows the server to be on a completely different domain. . .they get suspicious! )

As for the forwarding from your other mail server, that would depend on that (non-Zimbra) server. Ask in more detail and some forum members may know the answer anyway; we're a diverse crowd!

Dan

Tmanagement is offline Member

Thanks Dan,

Will have a look at it first in order to understand the basics. Thanks for pointing out to those resources.

Thread Information