Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FC4 New Install : Send OK but No receive

mr_a is offline Intermediate Member

Default FC4 New Install : Send OK but No receive

Hi there folks,

Please be gentle as first post and relative noob!

I have done a fresh install of FC4 and downloaded and installed OS zcs all ok. Used the guide http://www.zimbra.com/forums/installation/590-fedora-core-4-how.html#post2963 which worked well.

I am running the box at home as an evaluation with a view to a school implementation some time in 2006.

We have our own domain myschool.co.uk and this is hosted externally.

I can send from the domain (zimbra@myschool.co.uk) ok to my home email (matthew@mydomain.co.uk).

However I cannot receive.

So far I have:-
    1. Setup fetchmail. i used the same setting as per my hula install which I am also testing. This works fine on Hula.

2. Port forwards on my dsl router to 25,110,7071 &7075 all to the local ip of my zimbra box.

3. On setting up Zimbra I merely left the hostname as mail.

A few friendly pointers would be much appreciated. Please let me know any more info required.

Happy New Year.

Regards,

Matthew

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default send but no receive

Quote Originally Posted by mr_a
    Hi there folks,

Please be gentle as first post and relative noob!

I have done a fresh install of FC4 and downloaded and installed OS zcs all ok. Used the guide http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2963 which worked well.

I am running the box at home as an evaluation with a view to a school implementation some time in 2006.

We have our own domain myschool.co.uk and this is hosted externally.

I can send from the domain (zimbra@myschool.co.uk) ok to my home email (matthew@mydomain.co.uk).

However I cannot receive.
    I'm not clear what you're saying - you can send from a non-zimbra system, to a zimbra system, but the message is never received?
    So far I have:-
    1. Setup fetchmail. i used the same setting as per my hula install which I am also testing. This works fine on Hula.
    What are you using fetchmail for?

2. Port forwards on my dsl router to 25,110,7071 &7075 all to the local ip of my zimbra box.

3. On setting up Zimbra I merely left the hostname as mail.
    Just mail, or mail.domain.co.uk?

A few friendly pointers would be much appreciated. Please let me know any more info required.
    Check /var/log/zimbra.log to see if postfix is even getting the connection - does the MX record for yourdomain.co.uk point to the ip address on your DSL line? (It's a static IP, right?)

Can you send from one user on the zimbra box to another? Can you send outbound from zimbra to the internet (yahoo.co.uk, or whereever?)
    Happy New Year.

Regards,

Matthew

Hi there,

Sorry for all the confusion - I will try to be as claer and precise as possible.

I'm not clear what you're saying - you can send from a non-zimbra system, to a zimbra system, but the message is never received?

I can send from a non zimbra system to zimbra - nothing bounces back and all seems ok.

What are you using fetchmail for?
    I thought i should be using fetchmail to pick up the emails sent to my external school domain. I usually pick these up from a very basic webmail client that our isp provides. There is a POP server but no IMAP.

I cannot send from one zimbra to another.

What should I be looking for in zimbra log re POstfix? It is quite a long file but I could post a relevant section if this were of help.

Many thanks.

Matthew

Default clarity

I'm still not clear on what's going on.

Is this correct:

When you send from non-zimbra to zimbra, you get the message. It shows up in the web UI, you can read it, no problem.

You cannot send between users on the zimbra system. This could be a dns problem - check the last 100 or so lines in /var/log/zimbra.log for postfix errors.

Can you send from zimbra to an external account (eg, hotmail?)

As far as fetchmail - you're fetching the mail from the remote system, but how are you delivering it to the zimbra system? There's a fair amount of traffic on the forums about this, you may want to check that out.

marc,

thanks for your patience.

I cannot receive anything at all in zimbra whether it is zimbra to zimbra or external other email to zimbra.

I seem to be able to send fine from zimbra to external client. Also if i send from zimbra client to another zimbra client i get a notification that the email has been sent although it is not received by the other zimbra client.

I will check the /var/log/zimbra.log for postfix errors.

Fetchmail. I will do a bit more digging around the forums for some more pointers.

Thanks

Matthew

Default Dns

does the dns for the domain you're hosting point to your server for MX?

does the dns for the domain you're hosting point to your server for MX?

No it does not. We have very little control over our externally hosted domain.

Is this a necessity?

Basically we are quite happy to use Zimbra by just picking up the email from thei r pop3 server using a fetchmail scenario.

Matthew

Default mx records

you don't need an mx record, but you'll have to disable dns to send mail between zimbra users - search the forums for this (set a relay host, too).

Ok,

I have disabled the dns lookup in the MTA tab of server settings. I have also set a relay host of my isp.

Am rebooting everything as I write.

Ok. I have now rebooted the zimbra server and still the same no receive from local or external email addresses.

On looking at my /var/log zimbra.log I have found the following excerpt whcih may help.

Dec 31 14:59:44 mail postfix/lmtp[5533]: D6C8343876B: to=<zimbra@greenwayschool.co.uk>, relay=none, delay=1, status=deferred (connect to greenwayschool.co.uk[81.21.75.146]: Connection refused)

What does the connection refused mean?

Matthew

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Is the DNS for greenwayschool.co.uk resolving correctly to your Zimbra box? Can you actually telnet to that box on port 25? There isn't, by any chance, a firewall blocking port 25 is there? I get this from a tracert to that address.
    Last edited by phoenix; 12-31-2005 at 08:47 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information