Thread: Why bother supporting FC5?

dmangot is offline Intermediate Member

Default Why bother supporting FC5?

I'm trying to understand why Zimbra OS edition supports things like Fedora Core 5? The latest version of Fedora is Fedora 7 and they don't even release security updates for anything before 6.

Why does Zimbra waste its time releasing code for an operating system that is already EOL, like 5 or 4? If you are going to have Fedora support, shouldn't it be something that is supported by the Fedora community itself? Basically what you are telling me, is choose between running the FC5 build on F7 (not recommended), or running the FC5 build on an OS full of unpatched security holes, FC5 (not recommended).

What is the point? It's almost the same situation with the fact that we have to run outdated ClamAV, at least in the Network Edition. I get the warning from ClamAV every day. I have voted for fixing that at least.

p24t is offline Moderator

I'd say probably because there's people who have been running Zimbra on FC5/4 for a while now. Those people do not want to upgrade their entire OS just to keep their Zimbra up to date. I'm sure you don't want to have to reinstall your mailserver from scratch.

Default keeping up to date

I have to upgrade my servers whenever an operating system is EOL'd. There are no more patches released and you'd have to be a complete fool to stick a server in the DMZ (where mailservers live) that you couldn't keep up to date with security patches. If that isn't an invitation to be 0wn3d I don't know what is.

Aside from even upgrading between versions, systems in the DMZ must be patched regularly. This is always bullet point number 1 in any article on how to keep your systems secure. Are you saying that if I choose to run Zimbra, I am basically choosing to have my mail read by whichever hackers rootkit my system?

The only time I have ever kept some OS running long after it has been EOL'd is when it is buried deep inside the internal network and that is usually because it is running some archaic piece of software that doesn't run on any modern OS. I don't think any of us would describe Zimbra in those terms.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Doesn't mean people don't do it though

Quote Originally Posted by p24t View Post
    I'd say probably because there's people who have been running Zimbra on FC5/4 for a while now. Those people do not want to upgrade their entire OS just to keep their Zimbra up to date. I'm sure you don't want to have to reinstall your mailserver from scratch.
    Yep that's exactly it. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the packages are automatically compiled (or I would bet they are anyway); and since there's no NE version for Fedora there's less strict testing that needs to be done. Plus, if I'm correct, I can't see a strong reason to remove it from the process already in place for 4.5.x builds.

See PMWeb for platform support plans, and open an RFE if you want another operating system supported.

FOSS 4.5.9GA downloads:FOSS 5RC1 downloads:
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-23-2007 at 07:40 PM.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

This is a simple, yet complicated question at the same time.

We will not be supporting FC4 or FC5 for 5.0 release. We continue to make it available in testing for a migration path, but that's it. it's important, as a software maker, that we provide our customers with a migration path.

You should not see the OSes listed for the 5.0 pre-releases as the set of OSes that will be supported for 5.0. The set of supported OSes can be viewed here: Zimbra Product Portal

Note FC7.

When we lock a branch, in this case 4.5, or FRANK, we support the OS for the life of the branch. We do not change OSes that quickly. Why? Because many large companies don't want a lot of down time, and it's our obligation to support them for the life of our release. At the time that 4.5 was released, the OSes we have now, were current. From time to time, we will throw in another OS if it gets enough requests.

So to sum it up:

Why bother supporting FC5?
    We need to provide an upgrade/migration path.

Should I see the OSes listed for RC1/2 as the final OSes supported?
    No. Always check the project management portal.

Will FC7 be supported?
    Yes. For the life of 5.0, or FRANKLIN.

What about FC8?
    File a bug, and if enough people want it, we may introduce it into franklin, but not guaranteed.

Hope this clears up your concerns.
    john
    Last edited by jholder; 10-23-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks jholder. The fact that is will be supported in 5.0 makes sense.

Thread Information