Thread: Poor Spamassassin results

altimage is offline Active Member

Default Poor Spamassassin results

Spamassassin is running and tagging and doing everything it generally should be doing but the results are horrible. I've fed it over 60,000 spam messages to learn from but its only catching about 5-10% of the spam.

Is there any way to make sure that its really taking into consideration all of those spam messages I've fed it?

FYI, the training process went something like this:

/opt/zimbra/bin/zmlmtpinject -d /spam -r spam@ai.4ph.com -s spam@ai.4ph.com

zmtrainsa ai.4ph.com spam password spam Inbox

I ran the 60k messages in a couple batches and it took about 24 hours to run so I'd like to think it did *something*.

Would the dspam instructions on this forum help the accuracy significantly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And just to clarify, SA is tagging the headers and running tests and it is identifying spam. Its just doing such a poor job thats its not really useful.

thanks,
    altimage

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The spamassassin on M2 version of Zimbra isn't doing that well, IMO. Since I've upgraded to the M3 developers release spamassassin is working fine, I've also integrated DSPAM into Zimbra using the instructions on this forum. I haven't fed spamassassin with any email other than what comes into my system and it's getting very good results. My advice would be to wait for the next available release of Zimbra (or try the developers release) before you start playing with the anti-spam stuff.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

altimage is offline Active Member

Just a followup on our status. I setup DSpam as described in these forums and it has made a dramatic difference. I also made the changes to zmtrainsa (also described in these forums) to train both spamassassin and dspam at the same time. I fed another 45K messages to it and its catching a LOT of spam. I did have to setup a filter in each user's account to filter on the X-DSPAM-Result header. So basically instead of just letting dspam affect SA's scores, we're actively filtering if *either* program thinks its spam. I've had a handful of flase positives with dspam's tagging but I'm in the process of feeding it more ham. Hopefully that will level it out a bit.

altimage

unilogic is offline Senior Member

Make sure you are feeding it ham too, i.e. normal acceptable emails. If you feed it all spam it will essentially think everything is spam as it has nothing to contrast it to. This is especially true with SA bayes tests. You should generally keep the ratio of spam to ham fed to the trainer even. Also you really only need 2000-2500 of each type of message to effectivly train SpamAssassin and DSpam.

Ben

Thread Information