Thread: integration with existing services?

pyperdown is offline Active Member

Default integration with existing services?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before...

I have a Centos 4.2 box that already has openldap, postfix, cyrus-imap configured and running. I would would like to run zimbra on this box (really like the UI), but need to find out if it can be integrated with the installed daemons or if it needs to take their place. I'd rather not have to start over again.

Thanks,

-Jeff

KevinH is offline Expert Member

This had been covered a few times. We don't support that model of install. Folks have done it but they need to figure it out on their own. In all cases you will lose the tight integration of config/admin that Zimbra gives you.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Ok, how about the other way around?

If that's the case (which makes sense to me from a development priority standpoint), would the best method then be to make the zimbra box the master ldap server, for example? Can I integrate my samba and other schemas? I hate the indea of throwing out everything I've done getting these services to properly interact so far, but I am still very intrigued by the zimbra interface. The idea of no longer having to configure each user's e-mail client is very appealing, to say the least.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Do a search on samba. We've covered this before. Basically you can do this by adding schema's to Zimbra but we'd reccomend you run your own LDAP for that and just let Zimbra auth against your master LDAP.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default I think I understand...

Ok, this is what I'm getting...

use another ldap for auth (localhost or other). If I use the localhost's ldap, I assume (yikes) that I just don't install zibra's.

I would then use zimbra's services for email/calendar, and basically ditch currently configured services like say postfix and cyrus-imapd.

And, are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? This is a new server, so blowing away the mail spool is not a big deal at this point since it's not in production.

Thread Information