Thread: [SOLVED] Quota exceeded or Mailbox Full notice?

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Default [SOLVED] Quota exceeded or Mailbox Full notice?

When somebody's mailbox is filling up (say, when it hits 90 or 95%) or when it's truly full, I know you get a nice red bar on the web client, but that doesn't help for IMAP users. Is there a way to get the system to notify either the administrator or the user or (preferably) both when a box is filling or has become full?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Last edited by mmorse; 09-20-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: might as well give u a link to both

Default Thanks!

I searched the forum, forgot to search the wiki. That's just what I needed. I'll try the script and come back here if I find it broken.

Thanks again

Does anybody know whether the perl script at the wiki Mike referenced above, has to be run as the Zimbra user or if it can be run as root? I rather prefer not to mess with the Zimbra crontab if I can help it, so would prefer to load it as root (or another user if necessary), but I'm not familiar enough with the commands in the script to evaluate it just by reading it.

I'm referring to Quota Warnings - ZimbraWiki, not the other one which says it's supposed to be run as Zimbra user.

BTW, if people have experience with one or the other and want to comment I'd appreciate knowing.
    Last edited by dwmtractor; 09-21-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Clarify which script I'm referring to

Smile Success!

My thanks to the guys who wrote and modified this script http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Quota_Warnings.

I made the obvious modifications for my own local message and server, modified the critical warning percentage to 95%, and loaded it into my Zimbra user crontab (made a line above the "don't change anything below here" line) to run every hour on the 55-minute mark, and tested it both from crontab and command line.

I then went in and changed the quota on one of my accounts so I could see what happened, and the warnings come right through.

Please mark this thread solved!

Thumbs up Even better than I expected

While I was messing with this script, I happened to notice that my over-quota account shows a warning bar in Thunderbird. Nothing like this shows in Outlook Express, but Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 used as an IMAP client looks like this with a nearing-quota mailbox. That status gauge goes away completely when you're below 75%, shows a green dashed bar at 75-80%, shows yellow (like below) from 80-95%, and turns red at 95% and over. It also updates every time you click on a different folder in that account.

I can't speak for how other clients will handle this, but in Tbird it works great! I'm still going to use the notification script for a second reminder, but this is very helpful.

mmorse is offline Moderator

One thing you might to do though is do it every 12-24 hrs instead of hourly/on the 55min mark. -As the email will continue to add to their quota...and if their out of town for a while... they'll eventually hit a 'nothing else can be delivered' point. Then come back to find a ton of 'warnings' that are now useless. Hence the script running every 1 day is probably fine.

The scripts weren't designed to consider the prior state (ie already warned) - you could store that info in a temp file.
    However, other's finding this thread later should note that in v5 you'll be able to set:

zimbraQuotaWarnPercent & zimbraQuotaWarnMessage

as well as the important zimbraQuotaWarnInterval

(the server will then keep track/save a value in zimbraQuotaLastWarnTime automatically)
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-21-2007 at 11:51 AM.

glitch23 is offline Special Member

Yes, thats built into Thunderbird. If you go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > "Config Editor" you will see these 3 options/values that you can change.

Code:
    mail.quota.mainwindow_threshold.critical    95
    mail.quota.mainwindow_threshold.show        75
    mail.quota.mainwindow_threshold.warning     80
    So you can change them to whatever you like.
    Because we all can't be geniuses, I'll go first.

Thread Information