Thread: Large message operations causing problems.

Sam Hunter is offline Junior Member

Default Large message operations causing problems.

We just installed the Zimbra M2 Network beta and I have been testing it for performance, and ease of migration. I have all of my old email stored locally in Thunderbird (v1.0.7), and I am trying to copy them through an IMAP connection to the Zimbra server. If I just copy a few messages at a time, things seem to work smoothly. Large copies (1665 messages) cause problems however. The copy process takes quite a long time, an sometimes stops before it finishes. (In my latest attempt, 1556 messages were copied out of 1665).

The second problem is that many of the messages I've copied in have no text or anything else. Under Thunderbird, the subject is blank, the sender is blank, and the date is 12/31/1969 5:00 PM. Strangly the web interface shows the proper time, but also no subject etc. Of the 1556 messages that I copied, roughly 1/4 are blanks.

I have my view set to show 50 messages at a time in the web interface. If I select 50 of the blank messages and delete them, Firefox (or IE) works for a bit, and then an error appears which reads "Could not complete operation". The dropdown error message reads
    0 - P
    1 - e
    2 - r
    3 - m
    4 - i
    5 - s
    6 - s
    7 - i
    8 - o
    9 - n
    10 -
    11 - d
    12 - e
    13 - n
    14 - i
    15 - e
    16 - d
    17 -
    18 - t
    19 - o
    20 -
    21 - g
    22 - e
    23 - t
    24 -
    25 - p
    26 - r
    27 - o
    28 - p
    29 - e
    30 - r
    31 - t
    32 - y
    33 -
    34 - U
    35 - n
    36 - n
    37 - a
    38 - m
    39 - e
    40 - d
    41 - C
    42 - l
    43 - a
    44 - s
    45 - s
    46 - .
    47 - f
    48 - i
    49 - l
    50 - e
    51 - n
    52 - a
    53 - m
    54 - e

If I click OK on the error message, the web interface gets stuck (with hourglass), and I have to refresh to get anything back from it. The messages DO get deleted, and are gone when I refresh. Deleting non-blank messages, or doing any other multi-message operations seem to cause this problem as well. For instance, I just moved 50 messages into a new folder, and got the same error.

Large deletes via IMAP seem to work fine.

Is anyone else having similar problems when they attempt operations with large sets of email?

thanks,

Sam

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Hi Sam, Thunderbird at times will time out. When moving local mail to the server try doing it folder by folder, a little tedious but smaller batches seem to keep Thunderbird happy. I've never seen the blank messages before. I wonder if smaller batches will also help in this regard. Have you noticed?

The webclient error you posted below is fixed in the latest developer release. There was some improper error handling. Once the mail is in the server it works great. I've got some where around 20,000 messages in my INBOX and Thunderbird is able to manage just fine.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

nathans is offline Junior Member

I've been seeing possibly similar problems with a test M4 install I did last week. Upgrading from M4_41 to M4_62 after the fact doesn't seem to have changed anything.

I tried a casual load test by dragging a 50,000-message folder from a Cyrus server to the Zimbra server using an IMAP client (Mulberry 3.1.6). The move succeeded eventually (overnight -- after about 15,000 messages it slowed down drastically), but since then I'm seeing corruption issues in that mailbox and also the inbox from the same account on the Zimbra server. Mulberry basically can't show folders from that account any more, Pine 4.62 deals with it but complains occasionally about inconsistent responses from the IMAP server, the web client shows no errors.

In comparison, the same test against an Exchange server instead of Zimbra didn't show any issues. I've been slinging these large folders around on the Cyrus server for a couple of years without trouble.

Are there any clues in the log files?

/opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

The only things I'm finding in there which look like more than just standard informational messages are a fair number of MIME parse and decode errors during the copy. There's some spam and otherwise strange mail in that folder, though, so I'd kind of expect that sort of error.

Can you post some of the exceptions as an attachment, If it's not too big maybe just zip up the file and attach it here. We'd like to see if any of the MIME parse errors are new or if they are something we've seen before. May or may not be related to your problem but would be good for us to look at anyways.

I just noticed that I was off by a day; I'm missing logs from the first six or seven hours of the operation, because that file's been rotated away by now. The log file named "zimbra.log.2006-01-27" actually contains logs from 2006-01-28. That other file had the first 20,000 or so message copies in it.

I've attached what I have, with "INFO" lines removed (before that the upload was getting refused) and with some obfuscation of site-specific information. I hope it's still enough to be of use.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information