Thread: Dictionary Scans And Smtp Timeouts

ladylinux is offline Junior Member

Default Dictionary Scans And Smtp Timeouts

Hi,

I have a couple of customers who in the past had "Catchalls" enabled on a different system. Now since we moved these people the spammers are still hammering these accounts with massive dictionary attacks. This leads to smtp timeouts. Meaning all available connections get used up. (Catchalls are NOT being used now as they are evil things)

What I know about these attacks.

1. They send about 20 messages going up through the alphabet from a unique ip.

2. It pauses and then about 5 seconds later another 20 come in from a different IP. (It picks up alphabetically from where it left off even)

3. This goes on until about 100,000 or so messages are sent. Then it goes away for a while and then starts over again.

I am seeing smtpd connections taking a while to release. This leads to timeouts and retries from external mail servers.

I can't obviously block based on IP because it appears they have a unlimited amount of IP's to use.

On other systems I employed tarpitting as so. After 8 consecutive connections per ip the subsequent connections are "slowed" down to 10 secs per connection. This seems to work real well.

I don't really see anything out there for tarpitting with Postfix and greylisting is not a option.

This is becoming more and more typical. This type of dictionary attack. So has anyone came across this and what did you do to mitigate it.

EDIT:: I found this .. I am going to play with it

Improving Anti-spam system - ZimbraWiki

Thanks!!

Francesca
    Last edited by ladylinux; 09-01-2007 at 11:54 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Why don't you try this first. In the file /opt/zimbra/conf/zmmta.cf look for this entry:
    Code:
    smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient
    and change it's setting from 'no' to 'yes'. Save that file and restart postfix or zimbra and see if that helps. It will reject connections for an mail delivery to unlisted accounts. You will need to make that change every time you upgrade Zimbra as it doesn't persist.
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-02-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ladylinux is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks

Hmmm,

Thanks for that. I am surprised its not a default. I will try it and see. Also it should be "yes" not "res" right

Thanks!!!

Francesca
    Last edited by ladylinux; 09-02-2007 at 06:50 PM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Thread Information