Thread: What do I need to backup - Network edition?

robh is offline Active Member

Default What do I need to backup - Network edition?

Hi,

Can someone confirm that by backing up the backups directory I'll be able to restore accounts + mail etc?

Basically I'm backing up the whole machine using bacula, but excluding redolog, store and db. I've had a read of the administrator's guide but I'm unlikely to get the chance to test it any time soon, so wanted to check first.

Thanks,
    Rob

mmorse is offline Moderator

Yup that's the idea
    http://www.zimbra.com/docs/ne/latest...tore.13.1.html
    Get to a point where you can use the backups:
    1. Copy your ZCSLicense.xml file to a directory on the fresh/new server. You will not be able to complete the ZCS installation if the license is not on the fresh/new server.
    2. Follow the directions in the installation guide to install ZCS. Make sure that you configure the same domain, hostname, passwords as on the old server. During ZCS install, the following settings must be changed to match the original server settings:
    a. Zimbra LDAP Server – For Domain to create – identify the same default domain as on the original server.
    b. Zimbra Mailbox Server – An administrator’s account is automatically created.
    Make sure that the account name for Admin user to create is the same name as on the original server.
    Set the admin password.
    Change the Spam training user and the Non-spam (HAM) training user account names to be the same as the spam account names on the original server.
    Global Document Account – This account name is automatically generated. Change the Global Document Account name to be the same account name as on the original server.
    c. Change any other settings on the new server to match the configuration on the original server.

Restoring to the fresh/new server:
    1. Stop the new server, type zmcontrol stop.
    2. If the old server had additional storage volumes configured, mount any additional volumes now.
    3. Delete the mysql data and re initialize an empty data directory. If you do not do this, zmrestoreoffline will have errors. As zimbra, type
    a. rm -rf /opt/zimbra/db/data/*
    b. /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmyinit
    The mySQL service is now running.
    4. Copy the backup files from the old server or from an archive location to /opt/zimbra/backup.
    5. To restore the LDAP, type zmrestoreldap -lb <latest_label>.
    If you are restoring large number of accounts, you may want to run this command with nohup so that the session does not terminate.
    Note: To find the LDAP session label to restore, type zmrestoreldap –lbs.
    6. Type zmconvertctl start. This is required before running zmrestoreoffline.
    7. To start the offline restore, type zmrestoreoffline -sys -a all -c -br. You may want to run nohup here also. To watch the progress, tail /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log.
    Note: Use –c on the command line so that accounts will be restored even if some accounts encounter errors during the offline restore process.
    8. Because some ZCS services are running at this point, type zmcontrol stop to stop all services.
    9. Remove any old backup sessions because these sessions are no longer valid. Type rm -rf /opt/zimbra/redolog/* /opt/zimbra/backup/*
    10. To start ZCS, type zmcontrol start.
    11. Now run a full backup, type zmbackup -f -a all.
    12. Remove the firewall rules and allow client access to the fresh/new server.

Thread Information