Thread: [SOLVED] reject_unlisted_recipient

htin is offline Intermediate Member

Default [SOLVED] reject_unlisted_recipient

I'm getting dictionary attack this whole week. Receiving to invalid email addresses and MTA is bouncing all. Here is some entry in main.cf

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient, permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_unlisted_recipient, reject_invalid_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unauth_destination, permit
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
    virtual_alias_maps = ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vam.cf,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    [Working together for better community]

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Change the entry in zmmta.cf for smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient to 'yes', save the file and restart postfix.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-12-2008 at 06:51 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

htin is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks Bill, It was set to "no" in my installation.
    [Working together for better community]

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by htin View Post
    Thanks Bill, It was set to "no" in my installation.
    That's the default. I forgot to add that you will need to change that after every upgrade as that file gets overwritten.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

tcnj is offline Junior Member

Isn't the purpose of reject_unlisted_recipient in the smtpd_recipient_restrictions supposed to reject messages for users that don't exist on the system?

I too had to use the smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipients to get this to work, but this is more of a "global" setting. I like the reject_unlisted_recipient option better because I can selectively accept email for non-existent address by local users (i.e. mynetworks) and bounce them an error message back via email. Sometimes they get confused when their mail client refuses to send when they click the send button. Also we have some old listproc software that totally fails when it gets rejected because one of the list recipients is no longer valid.

rusty is offline Loyal Member

Default smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipients

When I check my zmmta.cf file there is no reference to smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipients. I'm on 4.5.9 Network Edition. Has this rule been removed? If I need to add it, what is the proper syntax? Why is it missing, it there a problem with setting the rule to yes?

rusty is offline Loyal Member

Never mind. After visually searching and not finding, I did a search (spelled it correctly) and still nothing. As soon as I posted I found it.

garyo is offline Active Member

Default How to remember customizations?

Regarding things like this customization that gets overwritten on upgrades, what's the accepted best practice for how to remember all these little things and reapply them when you upgrade? Just wondering. I inherited a zimbra install here and don't necessarily know all the little tweaks that were done, so now I'm scared to ever upgrade it since if I missed something like smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient=yes, I'd suddenly be deluged in spam!

Thread Information