Thread: Spam filtering on POP accounts?

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Default Spam filtering on POP accounts?

If you set up a POP account inside an IMAP account, and have that POP download its messages to a designated folder other than the inbox, does Zimbra run the spam filters against that folder?

I have set up a couple like this, and I see no spam tags in the headers, nor does any filtering seem to be happening to the messages. When I forward the same message to my regular Zimbra account it gets tags, though not tags that result in exclusion. . .I can't tell if this is because my own POP account is whitelisted (I wouldn't think so) or because the spam filter isn't catching all those "postcard.com" messages that are actually hyperlinks to a virus.

Help???

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you mean set-up zimbra to fetch mail from a pop account then, no, it does not pass through the spam filters. There's an RFE in bugzilla for it - check there and vote.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default How about if I forward?

If, instead, I have that POP account forward all its messages to the main IMAP account that's set up in Zimbra, will they then get the proper tagging, without eventually blacklisting my pop address that is doing the forwarding?

Default forwarding a honeypot on another domain to spam account?

Another thought. I have several old addresses on my old domain that are 100% junk--have been for several years. If I were to auto-forward those boxes directly to the Zimbra-created spam training account, would those messages, even though the direct sender was my address at my old domain, be processed correctly to improve the spam training? Would there be any harm to legitimate addresses at that second domain, from doing this?

Thanks

Dan

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you want mail from external accounts to go through the spam filters (until version 5 arrives) then the easiest thing to do is set-up fetchmail to get the mail. That will retrieve the mail and drop it in your mailbox with all the normal checks for spam etc.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ftoniolo is offline Junior Member

Default the same problem

I am with the same problem...
    How do I setup fetchmail to get the mail?

* I'm using Zimbra CE version 5.0.5_GA_2201.RHEL5.FOSS but I can't get my mail fetched via POP to be spam filtered yet...
    There is some non default config to do in version 5?

Quote Originally Posted by ftoniolo View Post
    I am with the same problem...
    How do I setup fetchmail to get the mail?

* I'm using Zimbra CE version 5.0.5_GA_2201.RHEL5.FOSS but I can't get my mail fetched via POP to be spam filtered yet...
    There is some non default config to do in version 5?
    The very simplest way is to:
    1. Install fetchmail (but don't worry about configuring it yet) on your system. I know the command for Debian but don't remember it for RedHat--but make sure the fetchmail package and any dependencies are installed.
    2. install Webmin (Webmin)
    3. Use Webmin's fetchmail management applet to configure your box to grab your external pop accounts and route them to internal Zimbra mailboxes. You can set up as many of these as you want--I have 15 or so POP boxes all going to different Zimbra users
    Mail fetched in this way passes through the spam filters as surely as it would if addressed to the original user.
    Cheers,

Dan

Deeeep is offline Intermediate Member
    Belgium, Europe, Earth, MilkyWay, Universe

Along similar lines, would it be possible to avoid mail from going to the "Junk" folders for POP accounts... Have the mails in the inbox and let the client filter on basis of the Headers... Looks like the filter to move Junk to the Junk mailbox is not editable...

Quote Originally Posted by Deeeep View Post
    Along similar lines, would it be possible to avoid mail from going to the "Junk" folders for POP accounts... Have the mails in the inbox and let the client filter on basis of the Headers... Looks like the filter to move Junk to the Junk mailbox is not editable...
    This is not possible with current software. There is an enhancement request in Bugzilla that addresses your question, but I see it's only gotten three votes in roughly 15 months so I doubt it's considered a terribly high priority--go here and vote if you would like see that changed.

Otherwise, you need to have your POP users log onto their webmail to check their junk folder. This is pretty similar to how POP accounts work these days with major ISPs as well.
    Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information