Thread: external LDAP

linuxos77 is offline New Member

Unhappy external LDAP

I am trying to get ZCS 4.5.6 to authenticate against my external Novell eDirectory (LDAP) server. In the Configure Authentication section of the admin URL I use the following LDAP filter:

(&(cn=%u)(objectClass=inetOrgPerson))

And this works successfully in the test in the admin GUI. However, when I attempt to log in to my ZCS site (non admin GUI) using my LDAP username/password it fails. A network sniffer shows that Zimbra isn't even attempting to talk to my LDAP server (again the test works from the admin URL and a network sniff shows the traffic), So why isn't my ZCS login page attempting to talk to my external LDAP source?? Thanks in advance!!

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

There must be a zimbra account created, regardless of if your authing to another server.

Do you have an account setup in your zimbra server? Also, what's in /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log?

bylong is offline Active Member

Default I have the same problem!

Hello,linuxos77, i have the same problem. I config zimbra to authenticate user from a extenal LDAP server. in the Admin UI, the test return a successful result, but when I attmpt to logon to zimbra always failed with account or password incorrect error information.

Hello, Jholder, I did it follow the below article. LDAP Authentication - ZimbraWiki
    It says zimbra can use external LDAP to authenticate user. am I right? so there are must ways to solve this problem.

why I like to make zimbra to authenticate user from external LDAP, is to reduce the taskload of user account management, else I have to create the same user information in several places,

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bylong View Post
    Hello,linuxos77, i have the same problem. I config zimbra to authenticate user from a extenal LDAP server. in the Admin UI, the test return a successful result, but when I attmpt to logon to zimbra always failed with account or password incorrect error information.
    You must have the users provisioned in Zimbra before you can authenticate against an external LDAP.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

bylong is offline Active Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bylong View Post
    You must have the users provisioned in Zimbra before you can authenticate against an external LDAP.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bylong View Post
    if so, then this means I have to create user in both places and keep them the same manually? thanks!
    Yes, it does unless you write a script to provision the users when changing password, first login to Zimbra or creation in your LDAP. Search the forums, I believe there's a thread somewhere that covers it.

Search bugzilla for an RFE about integration with external authentication servers, vote on it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information