Thread: Zimbra Collaboration and Zimbra "Social" platform convergence

eddiec is offline Junior Member

Question Zimbra Collaboration and Zimbra "Social" platform convergence

If I'm not wrong your social platform is based on top of Microsoft stack while Zimbra on Unix. How do you plan to "merge" these two world?

jdybik is offline Zimbra Employee

To clarify, our Email and Collaboration product line and our Social Communities product line will still be able to be deployed independently of each other. Our plan is to provide a unique set of capabilities when they are deployed together. In doing so, each platform is focused on delivering a set of platform services that can be consumed as web services regardless of the underlying technology stack. We are however looking to consolidate certain core services around things like search, data management, document preview onto a common set of technologies.

robhoward is offline Zimbra Employee

Jon already addressed this, but I'll reconfirm -

1. You will continue to be able to use both Zimbra Collaboration and Zimbra Community as standalone products.
    2. We will integrate the two products from a user experience point of view and along some key service areas, such as search, OAuth and others that Jon alluded to.
    3. Our integration strategy is to use a service oriented architecture that integrates the platforms together.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eddiec View Post
    If I'm not wrong your social platform is based on top of Microsoft stack while Zimbra on Unix. How do you plan to "merge" these two world?
    In my previous gig as a CIO for a global corporate trading company in NYC, I headed a $5 million software development project -- using .Net, same as Telligent. Flash forward and my car's license plate reads "LINUX" plus we are a Zimbra partner with a broad application hosting/managed services business across the US with some international as well.

I can based on my own experience say that the "merging" you are concerned about in a service-oriented environment should not be a concern at all.

Even today, we use a custom Java app that we wrote to talk to Zimbra via its APIs to collect usage data; the app then massages that data and creates invoices in our Windows-based accounting system. The app can run wherever...

Essentially, with service-oriented architectures, nothing inter-communicates at the operating system level, so the operating system is effectively irrelevant to interoperability.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that I fully expect the Telligent and Zimbra developers will both benefit from each other's best practices. At the moment, the Telligent stack has a much cleaner separation between the user interface, application (i.e. business logic), middleware and database layers than does Zimbra. Cleaner separation = less QA for version upgrades and often more flexibility for deployments. And guess what? In all the public Zimbra 8.5 pronouncements, Zimbra is moving (in phases) to separate out business logic from the application layer to a much greater degree than is the case in 8.0, in pursuit of their "always on" objective.

So while I understand in principle why you would be concerned about a Windows and a Linux pair of companies coming together, as a long-time Zimbra Partner with coding experience I don't think you should be concerned in this particular case.

And BTW, "jdybik" is John Dybik, who is the platform head for Zimbra and "robhoward" is the founder of Telligent.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

eddiec is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by robhoward View Post
    Jon already addressed this, but I'll reconfirm -

1. You will continue to be able to use both Zimbra Collaboration and Zimbra Community as standalone products.
    2. We will integrate the two products from a user experience point of view and along some key service areas, such as search, OAuth and others that Jon alluded to.
    3. Our integration strategy is to use a service oriented architecture that integrates the platforms together.
    Thank you Rob, that's both a good news and a nice approach

Thread Information