What is Different About Zimbra?
- Complete Solution
- Native archiving capabilities
- Native discovery/cross mailbox search
- Native replication/disaster recovery (WAN optimized)
- Native hierarchical storage management (HSM)
- Server and Storage Consolidation
- Substantial reduction in managed storage - One copy of email & attachments per server (rather than one per user or one per storage group)
- Substantial increase in the number of users per CPU - Multi-level caching and optimization of underlying open source software (Linux File System, MySQL, Postfix, etc.)
- Lower-Overhead Management
- Easy installation and configuration
- On-line automated backup
- On-line, intelligent restore (single mailbox, point-in-time, etc.)
- Fast mailbox move
- Rich, secure, zero administration client
- Compatibility with existing infrastructure
- Client - Outlook, Mobile, IMAP, POP, iCalendar, RSS, etc.
- Directory - Active Directory/LDAP integration, provisioning support
- Messaging Server - Co-existence and migration tools (including Microsoft Exchange)
- Web services - Bi-directional integration with enterprise applications
- Web security model - Single sign-on, no VPN required
- Secured attachment opening and HTML rendering
- SpamAssassin and ClamAV included
- Compatibility with existing anti-spam/anti-virus (via Postfix & amavisd-new)
- Open solution
- Open source
- Open formats - One MIME message per file means Zimbra storage is not opaque to sys. admin. or operating system utilities
- Self-Organizing Mailboxes
- Powerful, fast search (including messages and attachments)
- Saved searches across folders
- Conversation management across folders
- Tags for automatic and hand categorization of messages
- Active Messaging™ - Extensible web services model for linking message content to applications (for mouse-over and click)
- Intranet - ERP, CRM, Support, Finance, HR, VoIP phone, etc.
- Internet - Google Maps, Skype, Travel, Package Tracking, etc.
- Messaging application - Access across email, contacts, calendar, etc. without switching context
- Any Place, Any Machine
- Zero footprint, rich AJAX Web client (cross browser/OS)
- Security sans VPN
- Secure, read-only access to attachments without special-purpose client software
- Wiki-based collaboration
- Freedom of Client Choice
- PC - Outlook (Online, Offline, Cached Mode), Apple Mail and iCal, Eudora, Evolution, Thunderbird/Sunbird, RSS, etc.
- Mobile - Wireless devices "over the air" synchronization without special client software: Palm, Nokia, Motorola, PocketPC, etc. Other devices may require a seperate mobile client to be downloaded.
(Italics are used for Zimbra benefits currently planned for '06.)
More details are available in the Zimbra Data Sheet. (PDF)